honda 50 hp stalling problems

djl060961

Recruit
I have a 2001 Honda 50 hp outboard motor which seems to have a hesitation whenever I throttle it up quickly sometimes resulting in a stalled engine. Its been back to the dealer twice but the problem persists. Dealer is telling me that Honda regards this as a operational problem that cannot be corrected. Does anyone know anything about this? The motor seems to idle (troll) fine and has good top end as well but this is a somewhat annoying problem. It does not stall if the choke is partially on. I have adjusted the dash pots without any luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: honda 50 hp stalling problems

I believe I have seen the issue (or one very similar) brought here before.<br /> <br />Seems I recall that it was sometimes referred to as normal.<br /><br /> Maybe it's just an issue that won't be compensated under warranty. Perhaps a good "tuner" of a mechanic is needed.<br /><br />Use the search function here, perhaps you can find similar posts.

Skinnywater

Commander

There are quite a few BF50 owners here and only one other similar complaint. My 2002 BF50 doesn't do what you describe, at all. If it did, it wouldn't be acceptable to me and neither would your dealers response.<br /><br />If yours is normal then this must mean my BF50 is broken. Ask your dealer to break yours like mine. :p <br /><br />Call your dealer and get the number for Honda's district service manager. Here's the number for Honda's marine customer assistance (707-497-6400). Call them both and explain your situation. And by all means keep us informed on the outcome, please.<br />Us Honda owners would like to hear the true blue response, good or bad. It would be nice to know if Honda has that great customer relations we've always heard of, or if it is just a myth. <br />I already know your dealer sucks. :(

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

While I don't have any advice on how to fix this problem, as an owner of a long series of honda automobiles and lawnmowers and even a motorcycle years ago, I cannot believe ol man Honda would allow this to be considered normal in any way shape or form. I suggest as others have said, you go further up the Honda tree and you will eventually get to the bottom of this. And then you can go to your dealer and say Pffbbtttt!