1996 Honda 90 hp 4 stroke outboard engine

Bill Weinke

Recruit
I am interested in buying a used 1996 Honda 4 stroke , 90 hp engine. I have been told that the early production models of this particular engine may have experienced some problems or even recalls. Like to know if anyone can confirm or clarify what I've been told. Thanks

Nucdaddy

Recruit
Re: 1996 Honda 90 hp 4 stroke outboard engine

I am interested in buying a used 1996 Honda 4 stroke , 90 hp engine. I have been told that the early production models of this particular engine may have experienced some problems or even recalls. Like to know if anyone can confirm or clarify what I've been told. Thanks

I have a 96 BF90. The lower unit is Merc and the power block Honda. First challange is the metal is very suseptable to corrison. If you take a bolt out, put Felpro (Marine) anti sieze on it during installation. I have five heli coils in the intake from changing out thermostat....
Second, the carbs have very small jets ( idel, mid range and high range). Must have a fuel /water seperator. I change it often (60 days) and carry an extra on the boat. ENSURE you have quality O ring seals on the lower unit oil fill pulgs. All three cost ~$6.00.
Water indicator has VERY small hole and will clog easily. Constantly cleaning to ensure I have water flow when underway. Temp sensor just failed and will replace ($48).
Hope this helps and good luck.

Nick on the Bad Habit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1996 Honda 90 hp 4 stroke outboard engine

Write down the s/n of the motor, and take to your Honda shop. They can research the history and tell you what TSB's have been done and what still needs to be done.