Honda BF75 .... 1 plug fouls up.

Sailor Bill

Recruit
I have a 7.5 HP Honda BF75 (about a 1978 model) which runs well, except the bottom spark plug fouls up from time to time.<br />It seems to be a mixture problem, because the plug<br />accumulates black soot after just a few hours of operation. The top plug doesn't foul up. The engine doesn't use oil.... the level on the dipstick doesn't seem to drop over an entire summer of use.<br />Does anyone have a possible solution for this?<br />Also, does this engine have points which should be replaced or filed? Maybe a hotter spark would help.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Honda BF75 .... 1 plug fouls up.

Not familiar with your engine. But basicly speaking, it could be the other cylinder is getting water into it, as black is actually a good thing on a 2-cycle engines' plugs...Just not so much it fouls. It reveals sufficiant lubrication. Make sure the plug is the correct plug for your engine (I dunno,so someone else here may have that info for you).<br />Also try touching the block, top and bottom, after a few minutes of running. You may have a blocked port,and the cleaner plug may be on an overheating cylinder.<br />Plugs on a 2-cycle should be changted every 60-80 hours anyhow (just the nature of the beast).<br /><br />Do frequent decarbon cleanings. A good time for this is just before installing new plugs,and more frequently if you idle a bunch.<br />If you have never done this before, chances are it's way overdue. Buy a can of ringfree,ValveTect, or other decarb cleaner, available at any marina,and many auto stores.<br />There are also additives that do the same thing, but I have had problems running the reccommended doseage on my own outboards,as it tends to change the octane of the fuel..Hence, the engine runs like crud.<br />Finally (and most important), run a compression test. It should reveal why rthe clean plug is clean,if there is a problem with steam-cleaning or insufficiant fuel draw.<br />May also be a stuck reed, but this is very very rare.

D

DJ

Saileor Bill,<br /><br />Good advice from 12 Footer. I'm sure that engine is a twin cylinder single carb. I have an eight in the family that is set up that way.<br /><br />That sort of rules out carburetion. I would look into temperature. Feel the head on each cylinder and see if they feel the same.

mrm

Seaman

Is this a 2-cycle or 4-cycle motor ???<br /> MRM

mrm

Seaman

Maybe wrong heat range on spark plugs. I don't know if you have points or not. You need a manual for your motor.<br />MRM

Sailor Bill

Recruit

Thanks for the replies. The engine is a 4 cycle, and it does have the recommended plugs in it: NGK DR5HS. The block temperature seems about the same for both cylinders. Cooling water flow is reasonable. I will check compression.