Hard start Honda 15 HP

riverrider

Recruit
I have a Honda 15 1991, Has always started on the <br />2nd. or 3rd. pull. Now it won't fire at all in AM.<br />I pull choke out and turn throttle all the way up <br />as far as you can in start mode just like I've <br />done for ten years and nothing happens. I've tried<br />every combination of choke and throttle settings<br />and no luck. Then I come home in the afternoon <br />when the outside temp is in mid 70s and with the <br />choke off and the throttle all the way to lowest<br />setting, one pull and it fires right up and revs <br />up like a new motor. Obviously a fuel problem but<br />what can it be?

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Hard start Honda 15 HP

Valve adjustment comes immediatlly to mind.When's the last time you had that work done.Also with this unit I would suggest a compression and leakdown test to weed out any internal problems but I doubt you have them since you are running well after your hard start.Fuel quality is also an issue.Take a fuel sample right out of your tank into a clean can or jar.Any water or alot of crap?How old is that fuel?Have you ever,in all these years, changed the in line fuel filter?

riverrider

Recruit

Yes I have changed the in line filter and I used<br />a different portable tank with fresh gas this last<br />time out. The day before I went out, in the afternoon, it fired right up. Thought I had it <br />figured out. Went fishing the nest morning and it<br />wouldn't sstart. Came home in afternoon and it<br />fired right up.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

What about the valves?Have you ever had that adjustment checked?A tight exhaust valve will cause your syptoms and these valves get tighter with wear.After that you are looking at carb work if all the vitals are intact.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Riverrider, Just a thought. Maybe a spark problem. I see you are in Washington. In the morning, there could be water condensing on ignition parts and wires. In the afternoon, the dew evaporates and then the unit starts fine. I live in Wisconsin and lately I have had a hard time driving first thing in the morning due to the condensation on my windshield.

whosmatt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i would suspect moisture. in the morning, when there is dew or the air is damp, maybe it's not getting spark. and after it dries out, it's ok?<br /><br />i had a car that was like that once.<br /><br />maybe try taking a hair dryer to it in the driveway one morning and see if it will start. don't forget the muffs!