Honda 9.9 Fuel pump or carb problem

domingo

Recruit
this is a 1978 model. runs and accelerates fine on neutral, but doesnt accelerate on forward even when Im pumping the primer. do I have too much fuel or not enough? have new gas so this should not be a problem. also, engine doesnt seem to respont to pilot screw setting...<br />many thanks for any suggestions...

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda 9.9 Fuel pump or carb problem

Do a compression test to determine at least somewhat the internal health of this engine.All looks good there then check and change gear oil.No metal or water?Then adjust the valves,change the oil the whole regular maint. bit.If the problem continues shoot a little starting fluid at the carb intake when she starts to fall off. If it picks back up it's time for carb work.

Down South

Petty Officer 1st Class

Has this motor sat up for a while before you started having this problem?<br />I guess the first thing you need to check is if both spark plugs are firing. If you have a set of muffs hook them up and crank the motor. Remove one plug wire at a time to see if it makes a difference in how the motor runs. If you find removing one of the plug wires doesn't make a difference then you have an ignition problem on that cylinder.<br /><br />If there was a difference in how the engine ran on both plug wires then you probably have a carb problem. If the engine has sat up for a while it's most likely that the high speed jets are clogged up or possibly some trash or water in the carbs.<br /><br />Good luck

domingo

Recruit

:) Bingo ! Y'all hit it right on the nose ! The problem was one bad spark plug ! I did the "pull one plug at a time trick" as suggested and the cause was obvious...<br /><br />Many Thanks! :)