Upgrading-Long Shaft vs. Short Shaft

trout tracker

Recruit
I'm looking to repower my 14' Sea-Nymph 14R with a Honda 15 H.P. and just wanted to know any considerations I may be unaware of about using a long shaft vs a short shaft outboard. Thanks in advance for your help and tight lines to all! :p

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Upgrading-Long Shaft vs. Short Shaft

Howdy TT.<br /><br />You need to use the one that matches your transom height. Short=15", Long=20"<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Forktail

Ensign

The Honda 15 you want to re-power with can come in a short (15" shaft), long (20" shaft), or extra long (25" shaft).<br /><br />All 14' Sea Nymphs (Lowe/Genmar) either have transoms for 15" or 20" shafts with hp ratings from 15 to 30 depending on model.<br /><br />Here's their web site to check your model:<br /><br /> http://www.lowe.com/FishBoats/Utility/SeaNymph/ <br /><br />Or...you can always measure the transom itself. It should be either 16" or 21".<br /><br />The only disadvantages to using a long shaft on a short shaft transom are more water drag by the extended shaft which means slightly slower speeds, a little added weight, the inability to run in shallower waters, and a bit more expense in fuel use and purchase price. Otherwise you won't hurt a thing.

petryshyn

Commander

J.B. is right. You must match your transom. A long shaft motor put on a short transom can cause grief. I've seen water curl in and flood a friends boat cause of too much engine in the water....<br />Even in a small HP engine, the extra drag from too much in the water will slow you down.....