honda 7.5 runs rough with cover on

bobdanielak

Cadet
this may be normal,<br />but i can get my honda 7.5hp outboard<br />to run / idle really well with the cover<br />off.<br /><br />but as soon as i start to put the cover on<br />it gets rough.<br /><br />if i don't "over-compensate" with the idle<br />and mixture adjustment before closing the cover, it will even die out after 30 sec or so.<br /><br />i don't even have to close it all the way<br />before i notice the idle dropping.<br />with the cover 1/2 way closed, the idle immediately drops.<br /><br />i though about making some "air-holes"<br />in the cover, but that would probably be stupid, since the motor was designed<br />to run with the cover on.<br /><br />but where does the air get in?

Hitman65

Seaman
Re: honda 7.5 runs rough with cover on

Bob,<br />It depends on the year but most older Hondas have three small opening in the lower case just above the carry handle. This is where they are suppose to pull air from!<br /><br />I also read the preivous post about this same problem. Model year has a lot to do with location. As the new one pull from the left side I believe it is.

Hitman65

Seaman

Also Bob,<br />If you get me the year I will look it up in the Honda shop manual tonight when I go to the second job, at the Marine.

bobdanielak

Cadet

thanks for the reply!<br /><br />the model # is bf75L.<br /><br />not sure the year. maybe '80 ?<br /><br />so what was the conclusion in the earlier<br />posts (did a search myself, but could not<br />find it).<br /><br />is this normal?<br /><br />add more ventilation?

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

My opinion would be that you have a very nicely developed exhaust leak in the exhaust tube or the seal that seals it from the exhast housing. Take a flashlight and look under the cyl. head in that dark hole that things fall into,with engine running do you see any smoke coming out or up from the bottom?

Hitman65

Seaman

Good idea hondon!<br />Also maybe look if anything is covering the air inlet holes. I was looking at a 7.5 last night and it had holes in two different places. At the rear near the latch and up front around where the shifter goes through the case. See if these are plugged. if they are it will inhibit air flow by restriction.<br /><br /><br />Let me know what you find. <br /><br /><br />Hondon,<br />Do the smaller models have the long exhaust pipe on them like the larger models??? I know a 50 has a 12" exhaust pipe on it that runs down inside the mid-housing?????<br /><br /><br />Hitman

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Not so long as all that. If you look at the outside of the motor you see a seam between the lower motor cover which is also the oil pan,and the exhaust /driveshaft housing. The exhaut tube comes off the bottom of the head ,mixes water and fumes and exits just barely under that seam after passing thru a seal. If that seal fails or the tube is leaking, fumes will ac***ulate in the space under the cowl not allowing engine to breathe.

Hitman65

Seaman

Hey Bob How did this come out we never heard any more from you on this? What did you find???<br />I am really interested hear what you found.<br /><br />Hitman

bobdanielak

Cadet

hi guys,<br /><br />was out on vacation for a couple days last week.<br /><br />got to play with the outboard on sunday<br />(in hopes of getting a sail in - even if i have to run with the cover off til i can get the sails up...)<br /><br />this was not to be.<br /><br />could not get her started?!?<br /><br />it ran great (except when the cover was on)<br />last week before i shut her down...<br /><br />i put in new plugs, as the old ones were wet<br />and flushed out the gas.<br /><br />tried again, and nothing...<br /><br />flushed out again.<br /><br />stole some fresh gas from my car<br />and started the outboard from a gatorade bottle...<br /><br />ran like a champ (after messing with the mixture screw again).<br /><br />while it was running, i checked the exhaust pipe and general vicinity for smoke, etc.<br /><br />could not see any smoke, or signs of leaks.<br /><br />there was a little water down in the well<br />where the exhaust pipe dissappeared.<br /><br />i poured in a little more water to see if i could see bubbles (detect a leaking seal?!?)<br /><br />nothing. but who knows.<br />the exhaust leak seems the most plausible...<br /><br />i found some openings in the case where<br />air would normally get in.<br />nothing plugged.<br /><br />one thing that i was unsure about is that<br />most of my exhaust gasses during idle<br />come out thru the two holes in the back of the shaft, well above the water line.<br /><br />if i cover these holes, i get major bubbling<br />below the prop.<br /><br />i thought that i might have some blockage in the lower exhaust outlet, so i covered the holes and revved a bit.<br /><br />no change.<br /><br />but now i'm not so sure the exaust out of these holes is normal?<br /><br />yes? no?<br /><br />my wife is picking me up a new gas can today.<br />if i get home early enough, i'll see if<br />bad gas was the culprit all along.<br /><br />thanks again,<br /><br />bob.d.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Exhaust comming from those two holes is normal,thats why they are there.Fresh fuel is essensial in these outboards as well as all others.Is your carb still flooding over?Still suspect an exhaust leak because of the cover off thing and the prevalance of that failure on this engine.

evin300

Petty Officer 1st Class

Could you be pinching a vac. or fuel hose as you install the hood?

Big Daddy

Recruit

I repair small outboards and run them in a 50 gallon tank of water to check them out. Many motors do not run well in the tank with their covers on due to pulling exhaust gas from the tank into the bottom air inlets. As soon as I remove the covers, they run fine. You said your motor is on a sail boat. Is the motor in a well that could be enabling exhaust gas to be sucked into the bottom of the motor? If so you might try running it on an open transom boat and see if your problem goes away.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Very nice point my friend.Also look at those two holes and make sure that they are not submerged while running.This can happen often in a sailboat situation with the heavy rocker that you might have.