Honda 10HP runs then dies, won't idle either

jmartin7

Recruit
I hope someone can help me.<br />I just purchased a used Honda 10hp 4 stroke for $90. It has been sitting for about 10 year or more.<br />I've ordered my shop manual but it's gonna be 4-6 weeks before I get it.<br />Here's the deal.<br />I took off the carb and soaked it, pulled the plugs and cleaned, changed engine oil and leg oil and put everything back together.<br />It pretty much started on the third pull with full choke but as I push in the choke it dies.<br />It would stay running with 1/2 choke but would die after 30-60 seconds. It would start right up again with full choke.<br />I figure it's still some crud in the carb or it's not getting enough fuel, fuel pump?<br />Any suggestions?<br />Thanks<br />Jeff

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Honda 10HP runs then dies, won't idle either

I think you figured right, Jeff. There must be some old varnish left in the carb, probably in a jet or two.<br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

And Fuel pump diaphram will be shot after sitting 10years.

jmartin7

Recruit

Thanks for the replies.<br /><br />I'm soaking the carb in cleaner right now and will pull the fuel pump and check the diaphram.<br /><br />Thanks again.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I would say that if it runs during choking, then the fuel pump is okay. Wouldn't be the float level, cause I don't think that the choke would work either. More than likeley you have a clogged passage or a jet. Try using a small piece of tag wire, but remember tag wire can break real easy if it is twisted to much. Tip cleaners for a torch works well also.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

You stated you were soaking the carb..<br />I hope you got all rubber and plastic parts out of it first. That stuff works great,but will comsume all rubber and plastic.

jmartin7

Recruit

Thanks for all the replies.<br />Yes 12Footer, I did remove all the rubber and plastic parts before soaking it.<br />This isn't the first carb I've cleaned. I have dual 45mm Dellorto's on my '65 bug.
smile.gif
<br /><br />I re-assembled and put the carb on Sunday night using the old fuel pump diaphram (which I'll replace anyway, it was kinda hard) and it ran like a champ. Idle is a bit rough but we were out on a lake yesterday and it ran great!
smile.gif
<br /><br />Problem solved!<br /><br />All pretty good for a $90 motor. <big_grin><br /><br />Jeff

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Really. You stole it man
smile.gif