90 HP Honda 4 stroke is equal to what?

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I hope you can answer a question for me! Looking to purchase a new 19 ft fiberglass boat. The dealer has it setup with a 90 Honda 4 stroke. I prefer not to get the Honda and go with a 2 stroke Yamaha. I figure a 90 Yamaha should be equal to if not better than the Honda for power. The dealer recommends a 115 Yamaha saying this would be the Honda's equal. Is this guy yanking my chain or what? Thanks.

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 90 HP Honda 4 stroke is equal to what?

hi mako <br />Cubic inch moves the boat. Check out that to help with the decision. Test drive one. 90HP<br />on a 19 ft boat seems small to me.<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />...have fun...corm<br /><br />cubic inches = power<br />power = speed<br />speed = FUN<br /><br />Email me if you need to.

FISHNFF

Recruit

A 90 Yamaha, though a great engine, is a little weak for a 90. Various posts seem to indicate it puts out somewhat less than 90HP. A Merc seems to be fastest with a OMC right there too. Cubes do count! A 19' boat would do better with a larger engine. You won't have to run around at WOT all the time, actually getting better fuel economy and engine longetivity. And you got more juice if/when you need it. A Merc 135 Opti is very clean burning and a powerhouse. If too much, look at a Merc 115 EFI 4 stroke. Yamaha 150 HPDI or 115 EFU 4 stroke great too, but cost a little more.<br />Brian K.

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the input! I came accross a 1998 20' Key Largo with a 115 Yamaha at a local reputable dealer. I should be able to get it for about $14,000 with the trailer. Over here in RI its been real tough to find a decent boat for a decent price. I've been seriously searching since February and now I really need a boat. I'm not familiar with a Key Largo boat at all, but it seems to be a nice package and the price is decent all things considered.