Tohatsu 15 hp with broken fin below Prop

lynnyrd

Cadet
Hello all,<br /><br />I have a friend with a nice looking 15 HP Tohatsu outboard that he wants to sell, the only problem is that the fin below the prop is broken off, probably about 3 inches worth.<br /><br />He says that the broken fin will not affect how the outboard performs, and is just there to protect the prop, he also says this should not affect the value. I have a few ??s about this.<br /><br />What is this fin for?<br />How will this problem affect performance?<br />How will this problem affect value?<br />Can the broken piece be welded back on?<br /><br />I'm not sure how old this motor is but looks like maybe 1990-1995 possible but not sure. The motor is very clean and seems to run great. Can anybody help me to tell how old this motor might be? I can get the serial number.<br /><br />Also does anybody know how good these Tohatsu<br />outboards are? Do they have a good reputation? Also what might be a fair price for this outboard? Thanks for any Help

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Tohatsu 15 hp with broken fin below Prop

Hello, lynnerd. First; goto nadaguides.com to get price ranges. Then: knock off a hundred bucks for a skeggard to repair the broken skeg. You can get your Skeggard at Cabelas for $99.<br /><br />Don't know anything anout Tohatsu except that it is Japanese, which means it is probably a pretty good motor.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

jeffers

Cadet
Re: Tohatsu 15 hp with broken fin below Prop

Hey Lynnard, I can say that I have owned tohatsu and nissan outboards and am very pleased with them. The only time they ever failed me was a fouled plug. As JB said just put a skeg guard on it and should be fine.