Honda 30 hp

kellaig

Seaman
hi.<br /><br />i was wondering whether other people have the same problems as I do.<br /><br />I have a new 30 HP honda that coughs / misses occasionly/irregularly at idle.<br /><br />sometimes it may even stall whilst dragging lures. Its a real pain in the arse.<br /><br />It has been back to two separate honda dealers that can't fault it(crap). The dealers have synchronised the carbi's and the idle in gear is 900 rpm.<br /><br />Is this a common problem with the 30's as the appear to be an overtuned 25 HP, and if so what can I do about the cough and stalling<br /><br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Kellaig

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda 30 hp

I can probably help you ,so let,s get a dialouge going.How new is new?Are you running a water separating fuel filter?Was that idle speed verified by a shop tach or was the dash tach used?How are you propped?Let's talk here and hope we can get things going in the right direction for you.

kellaig

Seaman

Hi hondon,<br /><br />The rpm was set on the water using a small tachometer and was set at 900 rpm. In regards to the filter I don't know the answer as the machine is only 10 months old and whatever fuel filter it comes with.<br /><br />The prop is the 9 1/4 x 13 inches.<br /><br />I took the boat out yesterday and it ran well for 90 % of the time. it stalled 3 times and in between to stalls it missed constantly for about 20 times at about 2 second intervals. <br /><br />after the third stall it never played up again.<br /><br />I think it must be electrical but I am not a mechanic.<br /><br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Kellaig

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not there with you so I can't say you don't have an ignition failure, but I can say that these systems rarely fail.Your problems are consistant with a malfunctioning carb.In other words I would suspect that you have a piece of crap floating around in one of those float bowls and frommtime to time it finds its way to the main jet.If you don't know if you have a water separator, it's likley you don't .I'dd really reccomend getting one.Water contaminated fuel could be the source of your current trouble.

D

DJ

I think hondon is on to something. The Honda eight that I use is very sensitive to water in the fuel. Learned my lesson the hard way. Had to rebuild the carb. after some water sat in it. It had similar symptoms.

kellaig

Seaman

Thanks for the replies. The motor is at a Honda dealer and they are checking the electrical system. <br /><br />They had a look at the carbi's last time and cleaned them, so they think it must be an intermittent electrical fault. How they will find it is anyones' guess.<br /><br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Kelaig

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

I had a similar problem with my 1995 Honda 25 HP. Turned out that Honda had jetted some of the 1995 25 HP motors too lean. I was one of the unlucky.<br /><br />The dealer replaced the jets to Honda's specs (under warrenty) and it ran like a champ (no stalling off of idle), and ran much better in cold weather too.