Honda carb repair

cn2bakers2

Cadet
I have a BF30A motor that has idle problems and it has been suggested that I have the carbs gone through.My dealer had my motor over 4 weeks the last time I had it there for not idling on one cylinder.They said they found dirt in low speed jet. Motor idles now but is very incosistent. I have purchased a tach and a set of vacuum gauges and have decided to go thru the carbs myself. Can anyone tell me which parts I need to order. I was thinking intake manifold gasket,insulator gaskets possible carb kit if available. Some one on this site mentioned changing jets with new as they are hard to clean. Any oppinions?

Skinnywater

Commander
Re: Honda carb repair

Now your talkin'! I'm glad you got the guages. I'm glad your mechanically inclined to use them.<br />Buy a Honda marine factory manuel for your motor. Do a valve adjustment while your at it, it's often neglected a very nessesary for overall performance.<br /><br />I wouldn't buy jets. Instead use a good carb cleaner and compressed air. A sewing needle may be all that is needed to probe jet passages.<br />Be sure to lubricate all your hardware before torqueing.<br /><br />A final piece of good carb work. As soon as you pull the floats from the bowls, wipe them clean. Carefully set them in corresponding order in sunlight. After a 5 minute wait, carefully inspect each one for weeping stains. This will indicate a float becoming porous and becoming saturated with fuel, needing replacement.

cn2bakers2

Cadet

Skinnywater,I do have a factory honda manual,it is for a bf25a instead of bf30a but thats my dealers error and they should be the same. I did valve adjustment last week they were not to bad all within specs. Will I need carb gasket sets and how about float needles? Also where can I get a parts manual?

kellaig

Seaman

Hi C Baker,<br /><br />I have read your earlier post about your intermittent idling problem. I too had a 30 HP 2000 model tiler Honda and it did exactly the same as yours. Four trips to dealers including Honda head office in Australia, carbs were cleaned and synched, new CDI unit, new carbs, new ignition system, new hoses, fuel etc but the motor kept on stalling. The hotter the day the greater variation in idle. They all ignored it until I videotaped it. <br />My opinion ( non mechanical) is that Hondas are designed to run flat out all day. They don't like stop starting, idleing slow and then going fast. The idle changes when you do this, and sometimes it will stall- making it dangerous. The classic mechanic response was dirty fuel and idle set to low. One mechanic set the idle that high that you almost ski behind it. I grant him his due because it didn't stall <br /><br />I hope you solve your problem?. I did - I sold it. I now have a 40 HP Honda that performs a lot better but by no means is perfect.<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Kellaig<br /><br />Kek

cn2bakers2

Cadet

Kellaig thanks for the input. This motor has always idled fast after hard use but this is the first year I have had the erratic problems and since I had one carb that had dirt in it ,I expect their may be more.I have no faith in my dealer at all any more.

Skinnywater

Commander

I'd like to see one of the Honda pro's post on this thread.<br /><br />As I read it (previous posts)your motor simply has a high idle for 5 minutes after a high speed run. After that 5 minutes the idle returns to spec. I've not read that the motor dies or is inconsistant with the above condition. <br />Please correct me if I've confused this with another thread.<br /><br />Truthfully, my BF50jet won't plane my boat below 5,000 RPM and by design doesn't have a nuetral.<br />My boat isn't equiped with a trolling motor and it's used almost predominately in river currents 2-5mph. Because I back troll for Salmon, during the season I raise my idle to 1200rpm for stability in the current while fishing. Off season I adjust my idle to 950rpm. <br />Honestly, I've been at idle for 4-6 hours at a time hovering over a hole. It's important to note that Salmon season opens in July. Our summertime temps, 105f today, and 110f is called for by Saturday.<br />Fluctuations in idle, stalling, spitting or sputtering, isn't normal or acceptable for a properly working 4stroke of Honda's design and caliber.<br /><br />I'd be very surprised if you could get a good Honda marine tech to say it here.<br />That it is normal and it can't be fixed.<br /><br />C. Baker, those guages I suspect are going to show a fault quickly.<br /><br />"Will I need carb gasket sets and how about float needles?" <br /><br />I might buy manifold gaskets. Don't use RTV (silicone)around fuel components.<br />I wouldn't buy new kits unless they are old or dissfigured or you tear them. Or, are suspect in any way.<br /><br />The needle valves should operate very freely without score marks or biding. The viton tip shouldn't have a grove worn into it.<br />I'd at least attempt to use everthing over again. However, I'd make my final determination based on what I see once I tore them down. Remember use vasaline on the rubber orings and seals when you're assembling. <br /><br />"Also where can I get a parts manual?"<br /><br />I can only think of your dealer.<br /><br />Bueno fortunado, keep us posted.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Get the mani gasket ,6 carb base gaskets ,airbox gasket,and the three oring gasket kits for the carbs.Here is the catch .These carbs need to come all the way down,and you need to pay some real attention to any hairline crackage in the lift tubes .Usually near the bottom.I have chased my tail over those.At any rate ,these carbs need to be surgically cleaned when done.When you think you are finished clean it agiain.I book 1 hour per carb ,1/2 hour off AND 3/4 hour on and sync.Take your time cause you wo'nt want to be back in there.

cn2bakers2

Cadet

Thanks for the valuable input.I am amazed at the amount of info that is available on this site. I have the parts ordered and will be working on this in a couple weeks. I will post back with my findings.P.s.I think it is great that they broke this forum up into smaller groups even though took a while to find a section for Honda.