Honda 1985 BF75FLA drive shaft seals

spark

Cadet
It looks like the seal is called a coupling on the parts diagram. While it's disassembled and I'm waiting for the shop manual to arrive. I'd appreciate recommendations on what else to replace clean etc.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda 1985 BF75FLA drive shaft seals

Those are not good part numbers.Those seals have evolved over the years but should be readily available at any Honda Marine dealer in the current configuration.That gearcase has changed very little, if at all, through all these production years and I have found no difficulty getting parts for it.

spark

Cadet

It looks like the seal is called a coupling on the parts diagram. While it's disassembled and I'm waiting for the shop manual to arrive. I'd appreciate recommendations on what else to replace clean etc. It ran and pumped water well before the oil leak.

spark

Cadet

I replaced the drive shaft seal and the engine runs well with no oil leak, but now it is not pumping water well, pumps, restricts, probe the exit near the thermostat and it pumps again. Could it just be a faulty thermostat to replace?

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

The big ? here is,ARE YOU GETTING HOT?Remember that that telltale is only an indicator of water pumpage and not a crucial part of your cooling system.In fact it is very unimportant and can be plugged easily by debris.Feel the knobby part of that t stat hssy when running. Unbearably hot, then overheat, tolerable ,motor on.

spark

Cadet

It was a clog, all the banging I did to get the vertical shaft free loosened up the salt and corrosion. water and temp OK. My dealer couldn't get the power head - oil case gasket and I wanted to replace the oil filter. Had to put it back together with the old stuff but would like to do a better job this winter. Where can I get replacement parts? Should i keep trying other local dealors; it would be great to have internet access to parts.