Tohatsu tldi floods???

CWDarby

Cadet
I know fuel injected outboards shouldn’t flood but I assure you mine is definitely flooding. 2005 tldi 50hp has performed near flawlessly until this week. During duck hunting, of course. After several mile high rpm run, I powered down to idle. Then, the engine just stopped. Would not restart, would not fire, nothing! Pulled plugs to check for firing and got hot spark. Plugs very wet however. Cleaned and reinstalled! Fired a couple of times and died. Noticed smell of gas like flooded engine. Pulled plugs again ... wet but still firing. Repeat again with same result. Disconnected fuel line and pulled plugs repeatedly until no fouling fuel was evident on plugs. Reconnected fuel line and pumped up bulb. Started and ran about 5 seconds and died. Plugs wet again. After long trolling motor ride back and cooled engine. Fired again, ran about 10 seconds and died. Wet plugs again! Seems as if a needle seating that restricts fuel flow to injectors is not functioning properly. Not sure how that works but off to the dealer tomorrow for repair. Any ideas on the cause of this would be helpful. Thanks.

Last edited:

pvanv

Admiral
Assuming your model is MD50B. No, the vapor separator (where the needle and seat is located) will not cause flooding. Either misfiring will cause wet plugs, or the injectors are dumping too much fuel. Definitely see your dealer.

CWDarby

Cadet
Thanks for your response. Of course you are correct. Dealer diagnosis says air compressor only pushing 20 pounds pressure. Not atomizing fuel. Replacing compressor and air filter and should have me going this week. Thanks again.