Tohatsu outboard slipping when pulling on cord

adamstevens

Cadet
My tohatsu outboard 4hp is slipping when I pull on the cord to start it. I have attached 2 pictures of what I think the problem may be but I am not 100% sure. It slips 95 %of the pulls but the 5% where it catches the motor starts up instantly.
Edit* it says I am not authorized to create attachments so I can't put pictures up. Help with that first would be nice
Thanks in advance
Adam

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, Adam.

Follow the Forum Help link in my sig below. You need a total of 3 before pics can be attached starting with post #4. Don't use Photobucket to host you pics.

Not sure on your Tohatsu, but many pull starts have pawls that engage the flywheel. Maybe all it needs a little oil or grease to free them.

adamstevens

Cadet
4 posts and pictures still won't work. By pawls do you mean the wing looking things that protrude when the handle is pulled and retract when the handle draws back in? If so they are coming out as expected but seem to be grinding/ slipping on the ribbed bowl that they are supposed to catch.... this is only a guess as I cannot see it while pulling. A tohatsu part supplier would be helpful too. It is a 2004. Maybe replacement is ideal if there is not anothe solution

adamstevens

Cadet
Perfect that helps. The ratchet (pawls) are popping out and retracting as they should. They are not gripping into part number 2 below. There is wear and some metal shavings on part 2 but I assume some of that is normal wear and tear. Suggestions?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Out of my league now, I'm not much on Tohatsu motors.

I did just notice that this thread is in the wrong section. I'll move it to the right place where the Tohatsu guys will see it.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Those 2 strokes 4/5 HP-OB's are prone doing that. My previous (2) 5 HP did same. What you can do to remedy that...

1-Pull rope slightly till both ratchets are engaged to flywheel pulley, without releasing cord give a last hard pull, this is to keep ratchets engaged on pulley at both pull moments and OB starts fast.

2-With starter assy removed check if starter pulley (2) rotates well centered, if not, ratchets will not grip evenly on pulley when rope is pulled.

3-Center starter assy (1.1) slots to be well centerd on middle threaded crankcase base, adjust all 3 bolts tight, ratchets should grip much better (*)

4-Change ratchets springs for new ones, old ones are SS platted, new ones are black, are supossed to have higher spring tension, when done center starter assy as in 3 (*)

Don't add grease to ratchets, will worsen the issue, need to work completly dry. Good to know that other boaters are experiencing same bummer issues, report your findings.

Happy Boating

Last edited: