MD70a TLDI No spark Possible ECU

Hi all, I have a an early 2000's 70 hp TLDI, it says it's a md70a but haven't really been able to find much about that as everything seems to be directed towards the md70b. The boat was running fine, had been on a full run out to a fishing spot 5 or 6 miles away and died under idle. Towed it home, cleaned all the filters, etc., put in new plugs and went to fire it up and realized I wasn't getting any spark on any of the cylinders. I don't really like troubleshooting electrical issues and I'm pretty busy with work/etc. at the moment, so I took it to the local Tohatsu mechanic -- they just called and said it's the ECU.

I haven't been able to find an ECU for this motor, nor even really a parts catalog for it I did find a used ECU for the 70b but before I spend the money on it I'd like to be sure that 1) it is the ECU 2) the replacement ECU from the 70b will work and 3) that whatever caused the ECU to die wouldn't happen again immediately

Any Tohatsu wizards out there able to point me in the right direction?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
The engine has an onboard computer diagnostic system that tells the dealer what is wrong with it. So, if the dealer is really a Tohatsu dealer and really did use the system to diagnosis the problem and they are not lying about it being the ECM, then it is the ECM. Oddly enough the MD70A parts list is not showing up so I cannot verify if the number is the same as the B. So as to what caused it to fail...Act Of God.

Thanks -- yea I've called a few Tohatsu parts dealers and no one has the parts diagram for the 70a. Anyone ever reflashed a tldi ecu? If so where did you get the firmware?

Any reason to stay away from a 2nd hand ecu? The mechanic I'm working with is a tohatsu authorized shop but it's not a dealer I don't believe

Anyone have any personal experience with a tohatsu mechanic / dealer in coastal SC or Ga? I'm in Savannah

pvanv

Admiral
The firmware is proprietary, so no dealers have ever flashed the ECU.
Since the MD70A parts catalog isn't coming up, no way to tell whether the A and B ECU's are the same.