1991 ns40c nissan no spark

jj1119

Recruit
I've had some problems in the last few weeks getting my Nissan outboard(ns40c) to start, once started runs amazing, no issues, just cold starts. Now it just turns over not sure if its getting spark, what would be a good way to test for spark, any help would be great. First time poster!!!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Didn't see yer post down, sorry, or I'da posted sooner,....

You can get a cheap spark tester, most anywhere parts, 'n tools are sold,....

I'll move this post to the Nissan outboard forum for ya,....
I'm guessin' ya got a fuel delivery issue, rather than an ignition issue, as ya say it runs good, once runnin',....

pvanv

Admiral
Is the choke working? When was the last time the carb was cleaned? Is the fuel delivering well to the carb?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you don't count with a spark tester, remove plugs and with plug boots in place short each one individually to ground while someone else pulls the rope several times, check if with spark on both plugs to rule that out. Better if checking in a dark place, will see spark much better, must be dark blue. Clean all grounds from every electrical components before checking spark.

Check if carb remains with butterfly at closed position once choque botton is pushed fully in. If jams, butterfly shaft needs to unlock from side bushings, apply several drops of acrylic thinner, W40, let penetrate, close/open butterfly several times with hand not choke, once shaft has loosened up, lube with a light oil both shaft internal extremes to work properly.

If fuel delivery system tank to carb are doing their homework right being a 27 year oldie could have developed electrical component issues.

Happy Boating

Last edited: