honda 2001 9.9 power thrust

yellowbelly

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i recently picked up a 9.9 and 40hp honda off my 93 yo buddy, im working on the 9.9 right now.. this motor in all aspect has 3000 hours of trolling on a 16' lund and hasnt been used in 2 years.. did all the basics water pump, water jacket, thermostat, took the carb apart cleaned and blew out, oil change, plugs ect.. motor runs but very up and down and inconstant. my test tank has a black ring off soot like its running rich and has alot of exhaust gas.. the only thing i didnt order was the float stuff i used the old one. would that be what is makung it run so rich?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Firstly, barrels, test tanks should only be used when testing OB's for short time periods. If testing too long water is being heated up and consequently OB is being water cooled with hot water, besides all this 2 stroke oiling dressing going throughout the whole powerhead which could form a oil film on all water paths and lessen the OB capacity to cool as was designed to do so.

OB's specially 2 strokes don't like to work idle trolling for extended hours even years, forms to much carbon build up inside powerhead, exhaust. That OB surely needs an overdose of Carbon Guard, Carbon Tune-UP spray products sprayed through carb, then going for a wot spin for some minutes with combo on water to clear product out, repeat several times till OB runs smoothly, these naughty products does real wonders..

Will assure that OB has never had a powerhead, exhaust cover retorqued to specs on its entire life, retorque to specs, OB will work better.

Happy Boating

ahicks

Captain
I have no experience with the engine you are working on, but my experience with other Honda carbs has taught me there are usually some TINY fuel passages that are easily blocked if the engine sits for long with no preventative measures. I recently bought a BF90 that had been sitting a while, and even with my previous experience, took me 3 tries to get the carbs right. Frustrating as the dickens, but the way it runs now made that grief worth every second of frustration....

Point being, my bet is you missed one of those passages when you cleaned the carbs, or something new has plugged them again.