BF225 Trim issue.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Check trim switch condition..

Happy Boating

ahicks

Captain
Typical electrical problem. You'll need to do some trouble shooting. Could be wiring, one of 2 switches (on the remote, and on the engine itself) or tilt relays. Probability of finding the issue about evenly split between them. Nothing terribly complex going on here. A basic understanding of electricity should serve you well.

Sarge212

Recruit
Thanks for the replies guys. Ok, here's an update. I unplugged switch at the console and that solved the automatic trimming up issue that was happening when the ignition key was turned on. Now, figuring i would just use the switch on the motor temporarily didn't pan out as well, which stumps me. This is what happens when i use the T&T switch on the motor and this is with new battery with motor running or not running doesn't matter. The motor trim motor starts upward slowly for about 2 secs or about 2 inches and dies. Hit switch again and it repeats. Do this 10 or 11 times and it finally is all the way up. Going down however is at rocket speed, never seen a motor trim down so fast. Haven't checked reservoir yet, but when i started to turn the cap it sprayed all over, apparently under pressure.?

ahicks

Captain
No experience with this engine, so just tossing out some ideas -
Has the pump been refilled recently? If so, what was used to fill it? Is there a chance the pump motor is struggling trying to pump whatever is in the reservoir because it's too thick?

It sounds like the pump is pulling a lot of power and over heating. If that's true, that big amperage draw is popping a thermal breaker (auto reset circuit breaker) which cools off and allows for another cycle. That breaker could be internal to the pump motor or located somewhere in the engine's electronics.

You might be up for a replacement motor, likely due to it having overheated itself due to that defective switch. If you're real handy, you may be able to remove the tilt motor, and disassemble it for a good cleaning, paying particular attention to the commutator and brush holders. I've been able to save a LOT of motors this way....

Best of luck!

Sarge212

Recruit
Thanks for input ahicks. T/T motor was bad, or at least the top half of motor was (Elec part). Switched out t/t pump with a 150hp on the rack and now it works perfectly. The time required for this was more than expected, mostly because the priming and bleeding process was crazy lengthy and agravating.

ahicks

Captain
Awesome! Thanks for getting back with us with your solution. Too many don't take the time to do that....