why cant I get the right impeller for a 2015 9.8

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 9.8 Four stroke Tohatsu I ordered 1 impeller from iboats my fault wrong one don't fit. So I ordered the supposed to be right one part number 3B2-65021-1 this one says its for 9.8all its the only one I can find that fits my engine, but it don't fit. will not slide down shaft. what gives did they change shaft size in 201, and not tell anyone. Or am I doing something wrong?

pvanv

Admiral
Firstly, don't do just the impeller, 3B2650211M; do the complete water pump kit 3B2873222M. iBoats is unfortunately not a Tohatsu dealer.

That said, if there is exhaust or other accumulation on the shaft, clean it with a scotch-brite to bare stainless.

PM me and I can help you.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
their is no accumulation on the shaft, everything is still real clean inside, So I don't need the whole kit just an impeller. Evan the Tohatsu dealer has the same part number listed for the impeller, that I have from iboats. the impeller I got is just like .05mm to tight to fit down shaft. I am about to just file it out so I can go fishing this weekend!

pvanv

Admiral
Clearly you have the wrong impeller. Is it in a Tohatsu box or bag, with the correct part number? You may well have a completely wrong impeller. If you open up the bore, there is no guarantee that it will have a proper center. Plus you need to re-cut the keyway. Plus, is the end clearance correct?

Accumulation in the cup is not the issue; wear, especially in the base of the cup and the wear plate is the real problem; side clearance is often overlooked. If your original impeller is shot in just 2 years, odds are the cup and plate are worn. Considering the labor is the same to do the kit, we always do a kit if it's available. Pumps better and lasts longer.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
3B2650211M is the impeller I got in a sealed tohatsu bag. I called around this is the only impeller available for my outboard, the impeller I have will not go down shaft... The old impeller goes on and off no problem. The impeller I got must be defective. all the dimensions are the same except for the inside brass i.d is just to tight for the shaft. because iboats, is ignoring me on the return of the defective part. I have no choice but to make it work. Or eat the money used to purchase said part. I wish iboats merchandise website was as good as the forums. But sadly its hard to navigate. hard to understand. with very poor customer service. I was already sent wrong impeller. once They said I have to eat the shipping and a restocking fee making it insensible to return. The second impeller they sent me is defective. and I am ignored on this return. So I am like 50 plus dollars in on a 15 dollar impeller, and still have a defective part. Not cool, iboats.... By the way The impeller burnt out because the muffs fell off motor while it was running, and I have already filed out impeller to make it work. because iboats is taking me to cleaners on this I probably wont order parts from them again...

TGuy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since, as Paul stated, iboats is not a Tohatsu dealer, it doesn't sound like you got a Tohatsu OEM impeller. Only ones I can find for Tohatsu on iboats are Sierra brand impellers that are supposedly compatible with Tohatsu original impellers. But based on your experience, clearly it's not exactly the same. You should find a Tohatsu dealer and order an original Tohatsu one from them. Paul is a dealer and could get one for you. Or go to the tohatsu.com website and navigate to their USA site and go to the dealer locator page and see if there's a local dealer near you.

iboats_tim

User
Hi mxcobra, sorry about all the trouble you've had with this so far. I've just made sure that someone on our team here will contact you and get to the bottom of this.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks iboats Someone did contact me asap, from iboats, and she seemed more then happy to do what ever it would take to fix the problem. .WOW what a frustrating issue when the boat parts don't work, I apologise if I was pointing fingers. I think I did fix the impeller- it had to be a factory defect. If it don't work I'll order another. But I'm sure it will.

pvanv

Admiral
The OEM impeller for a 9.8 does not have a brass shaft liner; You clearly got one for a different motor.

raczekp1

Lieutenant
i had the same problem.
ordered new aftermarket impeler.
inner size is 11,2 mm
but not fit.
should be 11,5 mm

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
F
i had the same problem.
ordered new aftermarket impeler.
inner size is 11,2 mm
but not fit.
should be 11,5 mm

​see I'm not crazy, this was a huge pain for me. fishing trip scheduled for Saturday second wrong part delivered Friday. what was I to do - I made mine work with a file. it now has a very good powerful stream.. not to mention when my stock impeller came apart the pieces clogged the cooling lines..

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Have had some matching up parts issues before when ordering aftermarket Tohatsu basic replacements, now play safe with OEM parts.

Happy Boating