Newbie help with older motor: Tohatsu M25B 25hp

boat-r

Recruit
Hello all, new to this forum. Am hopeful that you will be able to help me out and share knowledge.

Got this motor back in '85. recently got a new boat after letting it sit for 15 years in garage. Installed on new boat and it still runs great. after several outings, I found oil leaking from the prop; presumably the prop shaft seal.

I have discovered getting parts may be a challenge. The shear pins are no longer available from Tohatsu, got one on ebay though

I got the service manual, and have questions for those experienced with this type of model. Have read the service/ shop manual - have questions before attempting repair. not sure if aftermarket service manuals are available for this model.

>>> Q: it appears that after removing the prop shaft mounting bolts, the whole prop shaft comes out? the manual is confusing: do other rods etc need to be detached? want to replace prop shaft seal, and want to know if i am getting in over my head. any help, hints, instructions, etc?

help! thanks...

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Before removing prop housing need to determine if oil coming from prop is unburned combustion fuel/oil leftovers or it's gear case oil. If clear it's gear oil, if dark, stinky and gummy it's leftovers, which is normal in 2 strokes OB's.

Anyway drain old oil in a pan and check oil cond. If milky need a new lower leg seal kit. If ok, just add new 90-80/90 grade high quality gear oil.

Probably parts from a Tohatsu M25C2 will fit ?

Happy Boating