Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone else’s topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when it’s posted at the end of someone else’s topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

A tale of two Tohatsus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A tale of two Tohatsus

I bought a new 2014 20hp Tohatsu for a fishing boat and it has been the best motor I've ever owned. Conversely, after being so satisfied with my 20 hp I bought a new 2017 3.5 hp Tohatsu in June for my sailboat and it has been a nightmare. It has all of about 10 hours on it and from day 1 it has been difficult to start and doesn't idle sometimes. After I do start it I have to keep turning the throttle handle to keep it going. Today, we were cruising at our usual low speed through the mooring field and it just died leaving me drifting about. Also, it often just bogs down and wants to stall when I try and increase the speed.

I always use fresh gas and, yes, I burn all of the gas in the carb when I park the boat 100% of the time. I've done this since the first day I bought it. I'm so disappointed in this motor. Any suggestions on what it the problem(s) could be? Thanks

The motor is 3 months old - No warranty to use?
    BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
    Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Originally posted by evanburen View Post
      I bought a new 2017 3.5 hp Tohatsu in June for my sailboat and it has been a nightmare. It has all of about 10 hours on it and from day 1 .... Any suggestions on what it the problem(s) could be? Thanks
      call a dealer, have them fix it under warranty
      1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
      1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
      2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
      1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Many Tohatsu OB's that came out of the box were found with bit of liquid fuel leftovers inside fuel filter and dry fuel leftovers inside carb, Now imagine sitting for long time periods inside their boxes since manufactured and sold to dealer. When new fuel is primed, leftovers can pass to carb's bowl and make their way up carb and clog it.

The only time didn't cleaned carb and fuel filter on a portable OB from new, happened excatly the same, OB had just less that 15 hours use. Bad music to be left stranded drifting to nowhere land.

Probably only needs a good carb & fuel filter clean out along a idle screw speed adjustment on water and that's all....

Happy Boating
        Last edited by Sea Rider; September 18th, 2017, 02:51 PM.
        Sea Rider 320, 380 Sibs, 450 Rib, 2 Strokes Tohatsu 5,18 & 30 HP Proud Smokers

Comment

If the idle jet is easily accessible, as is the one on the Honda 8, try removing it and cleaning it carefully, ideally with carb dip. On my Honda it has no adjustment - you just screw it back in. That may just smooth it out and is much easier than a full carb cleaning, if you don't actually need one. Can't hurt.

Comment

DEALER WARRANTY. Don't mess with it and then have the dealer say, "Sorry, you voided the warranty by taking apart the carb." Just take it to the dealer.

Comment

Working...
            X