A tale of two Tohatsus

evanburen

Cadet
I bought a new 2014 20hp Tohatsu for a fishing boat and it has been the best motor I've ever owned. Conversely, after being so satisfied with my 20 hp I bought a new 2017 3.5 hp Tohatsu in June for my sailboat and it has been a nightmare. It has all of about 10 hours on it and from day 1 it has been difficult to start and doesn't idle sometimes. After I do start it I have to keep turning the throttle handle to keep it going. Today, we were cruising at our usual low speed through the mooring field and it just died leaving me drifting about. Also, it often just bogs down and wants to stall when I try and increase the speed.

I always use fresh gas and, yes, I burn all of the gas in the carb when I park the boat 100% of the time. I've done this since the first day I bought it. I'm so disappointed in this motor. Any suggestions on what it the problem(s) could be? Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I bought a new 2017 3.5 hp Tohatsu in June for my sailboat and it has been a nightmare. It has all of about 10 hours on it and from day 1 .... Any suggestions on what it the problem(s) could be? Thanks

call a dealer, have them fix it under warranty

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Many Tohatsu OB's that came out of the box were found with bit of liquid fuel leftovers inside fuel filter and dry fuel leftovers inside carb, Now imagine sitting for long time periods inside their boxes since manufactured and sold to dealer. When new fuel is primed, leftovers can pass to carb's bowl and make their way up carb and clog it.

The only time didn't cleaned carb and fuel filter on a portable OB from new, happened excatly the same, OB had just less that 15 hours use. Bad music to be left stranded drifting to nowhere land.

Probably only needs a good carb & fuel filter clean out along a idle screw speed adjustment on water and that's all....

Happy Boating

Last edited:

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class
If the idle jet is easily accessible, as is the one on the Honda 8, try removing it and cleaning it carefully, ideally with carb dip. On my Honda it has no adjustment - you just screw it back in. That may just smooth it out and is much easier than a full carb cleaning, if you don't actually need one. Can't hurt.

aspeck

Staff member
DEALER WARRANTY. Don't mess with it and then have the dealer say, "Sorry, you voided the warranty by taking apart the carb." Just take it to the dealer.