Nissan 9.8A3 won't start after I shorted hot wire

milogonz

Recruit
Hi all: New to forum. I was installing a remote starting/throttle system on my 2010 Nissan 9.8A3 and I accidently touched the red hot wire to the motor and shorted out the fuse. I replaced the fuse but now the motor won't start. The starter cranks normally but motor won't start. I'm not getting any spark at the spark plugs so think I either damaged the CD unit or coil? Any help would be appreciated.

milogonz

Recruit
I thought about that and checked it to make sure. The red collar is on it and pulls it out like it should and it depresses slightly to make contact to kill the motor. Is there a way to bypass the kill switch? Would connecting the two wires that come out of the kill switch bypass it? It was running good until I tried to "improve it" by adding remote control. The 20A fuse was definitely blown so I replaced it. The spark plug is wet but no spark so I think it is getting fuel.

pvanv

Admiral
You touched the + battery wire with your hand and that blew the fuse? I doubt it.

What kind of RC box are you installing? The Tohatsu side-mount RC box also has a kill switch, and the tether clip must be installed in that as well.. When installing the RC box on the 9.8A3, you would normally disconnect (and/or remove) the kill switch from the lower cowl. If the brown wire from the CD is grounded, that kills ignition, so NO, don't connect the brown to the black, or you will not get spark. The full-color wiring diagram at the back of the Factory service manual shows how the on-motor and remote kill switches are wired. There are also diagrams on pps 24 and 25 of the owners manual.

milogonz

Recruit
No, I touched the red hot wire that connects to the ignition unit to the motor body essentially grounding it which sparked and blew the fuse. I have check both kill switches: on the side mount RC box and the motor itself. In fact I completely removed the RC wiring to restore motor to original wiring and start over. Cranks but will not run. I replace the ignition coil because the orange wire was frayed I assume when I grounded the hot wire but still not run. Would it be reasonable to replace the ignition unit CU7256? Would grounding the hot wire burn the ignition unit out? Thanks for your help.

milogonz

Recruit
Checked for spark again after replacing the ignition coil with new one. Still no spark. Getting fuel since spark plugs are moist and smell like fuel. I removed the kill switch. I removed the side mount RC box wiring completely. Motor is vey new with less than 50 hours. So that is why I was thinking it would be the CD ignition unit that I may have toasted by grounding the hot wire??? Thanks again.

pvanv

Admiral
The best thing to do is to review your Factory service manual and review the color wiring diagram and the tests of the ignition system. You will want a DVA meter and a good analog ohm meter. You could have a bad CD box, but they are very robust. The exciter or trigger could also be bad. Rather than just changing parts willy-nilly, I would test them. Full info is in the very good Factory service manual. You can PM me for more info.

milogonz

Recruit
Motor working again. It was the CD unit. Thanks for your help. I got the wiring diagram and realized I had wired the RC unit incorrectly. The RC cord has a blue wire that is supposed to go to choke solenoid which my motor does not have since it is a manual choke. I had connected the blue wire to a blue wire (on closer inspection it was blue with red stripe) going to exciter. I remember now that when I choked the RC box the fuse blew a second time. I believe that is what ruined the CD unit. These kits don't come with very good instructions. Like you said, best to get the wiring/full installation diagrams. Thanks again.