Tohastu 20 HP cooling water issue

jif102

Seaman
I have a 2014 tohastu high torque 20 HP outboard. Today when I was out I notice that the water spout stop squirting. I noticed a little bit of white smoke steam. I got home and pulled the water impeller. All of the blades where attached with no breaks or tears. There is only a very small trickle of water coming out of the spout. I am going to get a repair kit for the pump any way and see if that fixes it.

Is there any way to look for a plug past the pump?

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
I would start at the telltale discharge and make sure it is not plugged first of all. Try backwashing the water thru the cooling system to see if you can clear it out at all with some water pressure going backwards thru the system. That's all I can suggest with my little bit of knowledge about this problem. You can try backwashing thru the water tubes if you have the impeller housing off anyway when replacing the water impeller. Also, if your motor has a thermostat, see that it is clean inside and working properly. You can push some water into the holes in the thermostat housing too to try & backewash a bit more.

pvanv

Admiral
No such thing as "high torque". Year is irrelevant. Model/serial is everything. I assume it's an MFS20C. Push a still wire into the telltale nipple while the motor is running (in the water) to dislodge any stoppage there. If there was actual steam, you are not pumping well. Thermostat is irrelevant for water flow.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Was that OB mostly used on salt or fresh water ? was well flushed afterwords if was salt water used ? try flushing Salt Away product with OB-ON to remove internal salt if any if running the still wire into the telltale nipple didn't solve the issue.

Happy Boating