2017 Tohatsu M20 DEPS shift/throttle cable adjustment?

likitvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

I just installed a new Tohatsu into my old little boat and have an issue regarding shifting
- Forward engages well at throttle still idle
- Forward is just a little shy from disengaging when lever is moved into neutral, can require pulling back to the Reverse side.
- Reverse does not engage properly at idle throttle, it also adds rather high throttle before it is fully engages
- Reverse disengages properly

Naturally nothing about adjustment procedure in the manual, does such exist? Or are the cable heads just not "in" enough or the cable a bit off in its holders?

pvanv

Admiral
I believe your correct model is MFS20DEPS. All Remote motors MUST be installed by a dealer, and they will be responsible for adjusting the throttle/shift cables. If they did not install it, Tohatsu America whould like to know what dealer didn't do the proper job for you.

Disengage the cables at the motor by pulling the R pins (don't lose the nylon washers. Manually confirm that the throttle and shift bellcranks on the motor are at idle and fully clicked in to N. Confirm that the RC box is in N. Adjust the clevis on the end of the cables so they slip easily over the clevis pins. Lock the nut against the clevis. Done. Just like all cable-controlled outboards of all brands and vintages.

There is a manual that comes with the RC box... and the dealer should have given that to you.

Did the dealer perform a PDI (pre-delivery inspection) for you? If they did, you should have a signed copy of the checklist as they completed the PDI. The dealer is supposed to also have you sign off that you acknowledge that they did the procedure. If the selling dealer did not do all that, you can take the motor to any local dealer within 30 days of sale, and have the PDI done for free... and they should adjust the cables as a part of the PDI.

likitvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, I am the "other side of the pond" in Northern Europe and bought the outboard before my boat renowation was complete enough. The old models were/are at sale from under the coming EFI-model and here it was not an issue to install myself later. Yes, I could indeed now meet the dealer and have him check it. But I also like to know these things myself.

I am testing the shifting by rotating propeller with hand and it would now seem ok but in forward the propeller seems to be able to slip past dog when rotating with engine thrust but not against (i.e. engine torque should be delivered to the propeller). Reverse locks in both directions. Wonder is that a safety measure in these as it seems to be that way no matter how I engage forward? Looking at pictures of the Tohatsu gears for 2014 model would indicate the teeth to be formed in a way that would allow for this (BEVEL GEAR C) but not in the other (BEVEL GEAR A).

pvanv

Admiral
Yes, the clutch dog and gear are tapered to allow shifting to F be a little easier. It will "ratchet" in forward if you turn the prop.

likitvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, I think I have it correct now then, RC lever is also a bit easier to operate afterwards going through the setup. The shift cable end at the outboard was threaded too far in. Sea-trials time.