Tohatsu 40d tilt trim not working

Greytfish

Cadet
So this is a late 90's motor '98 think and the tilt trim is getting power and has fluid but will not lift the motor.....any thought on how to go about fixing it?

pvanv

Admiral
First VERIFY that the solenoids are working. If the motor is running (does it make a sound)?, then you may need to fix the pump. If no sound, pull the motor off and either repair it or take it to an auto electric shop that can repair it.

Greytfish

Cadet
Paul thanks. It's making your typical tilt trim whining noises, and it will let the motor fall. It just doesn't push it up. Could leaking around the piston arm cause this? At one time I was thinking it was leaking out of the top because it has oil build up down the front of the cylinder, but when I opened the cap screw, hydraulic fluid started to leak out after only a few turns and I quickly screwed it back in. So seems to have plenty fluid. What is involved it fixing the pump? O rings needed?

pvanv

Admiral
Try following the bleeding/filling procedure in the owners manual first. Probably trapped air. It will take patience.

Greytfish

Cadet
Hi again Paul, I went through the process stated in the manual. I manually worked it up and down 5 times while checking the fluid level. Did this twice. The motor was getting power but never built up any pressure to work the piston. Then I sucked out all the fluid with a little pump, refilled it, and worked it up and down again and still same result. Do you it could still be stubborn air in the lines?

pvanv

Admiral
Bleed it some more. After pulling out fluid, you now have a ton of air. 5 times is nothing. Sometimes it takes 25 or more times. Don't lift manually with the fill plug out, or you draw in more air, making it worse. Is this the early or late style TT system? Is the manual valve working well? If that isn't seated, no pressure will build... the fluid will merely recirculate.

Greytfish

Cadet
Thanks Paul. The manual valve seats tight. I'm not familiar enough with the styles to know if it's early or late. The motor is about a 1998. Oh I didn't work it with the valve open. I'll just work the devil out of it and see if that will do it. Do I need to worry about burning up the motor when testing it?

Last edited: