Oil leak on 8HP Nissan

IDFISHER

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just got a 1994 8HP Nissan and it had water in the gearcase so I got a whole lower unit seal/gasket kit and new water pump and had it all replaced by a dealer. After running it for the first time I noticed some oil coming from the seam where the lower unit bolts on at the aft of the motor and some oil dripping down from the lower bolt that attaches the prop housing to the lower unit. The oil looks kind of blackish and doesn't have much of a smell and when i took it back to the dealer they looked at it and smelled it and said that it's unburned 2 stroke oil and that it can build up when running at low speeds for trolling like I was doing and suggested running it at WOT for 10-15 minutes each time to burn it off. I am just hoping to get a 2nd opinion from a knowledgable person on here to help put my mind at ease. Does that sound reasonable to you?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yes, 2 strokes OB's likes doing that, don't like running at idle, fast idle trolling speeds for long time periods. As recommended by dealer, run the OB at full wot for some minutes as if stealing the combo to clear unburned fuel/oil mixture out while reaching port from fishing spot.

Happy Boating