Tohatsu m30a2 parts

Wdpg

Cadet
So I just picked up another old tohatsu this time it's the m30a2 346b saltwater it's loosing spark seems to be comming from the coil under the flywheel I've been trying to find a schematic or original part numbers for the a models to see if I could use m30a3 or some other motor as donor or even if I could just get original part numbers may make it a bit easier to locate parts that are sitting in the back of old marine shops if anyone has any info please let me know all knowledge is appreciated

pvanv

Admiral
Pretty obsolete. Check with a salvage yard. I don't even have a parts catalog that old, so can't help you match up a part.

Wdpg

Cadet
Yea I contacted a place out in Seattle Sorensen marine he has a bunch of old a model stuff but I think I'm going to end up having to tear into the motor atleast pull the fly wheel to see what's in there seems like no one has a parts catalog on anything prior to 92 which is so strange to me

Wdpg

Cadet
I own the m18a and now the m30a so I might just catalog anything I can on these motors as I go through them for anyone else they may need info I have used a carb from the c2 on my 18 and it works perfect and even though they are obsolete they are really light and the mechanics are simple hence the reason I've been staying with them if anyone knows of any scrap yards they may have this m30a2 motor or parts please let me know

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Get a nice mutimeter with DVA volt reading capabilities and throubleshoot correctly all electrical parts before going blindly seeking obsolete used spare parts.

BTW, which parts are your trying to find ?

Happy Boating

Wdpg

Cadet
I'd be looking for a cdi and coil assembly stator coil and exitercoil just the electrical for m30a2

Wdpg

Cadet
So I've come to the conclusion since I do own a high end meter for work that the exciter coil has a bad ground under the flywheel I will get intermittent continuity off the exciter to ground as I move the plate assembly

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Sometimes the cable pack that exits upper flywheel can have an internal damaged cable where it flexes and connects to CD, that's due to extreme twisting back and forth for years of use. With a knife, cut middle cable pack to expose cables and move manually each cable while throttling to check if the intermitency is found at that side and at which cable..

Post pics of current CD & Ignition Coil to have a look...

Happy Boating

Last edited: