Upgrading Tohatsu 9.9 2stroke 2000' to 15 horsepower

Marsic

Cadet
Hello!
First of all i would like to apologize for opening new topic about this question but somehow i was not able to reply on the old one from the past when soemone was asking about it.

I have Tohatsu 9.9 2 stroke motor which was bought in the year 2000. I have heard that it is the same motor as the tohatsu 15 but with slightly changed components. I am searching about the so called upgrade all around the internet for the past 3 days but eith no luck. :( i was wondering if someone could explain to me what parts should i buy and how to change them? Also if there is any guide already posted if someone could link it, i would be more than gratefull.
Best regards, Rok

pvanv

Admiral
Throttle cam gets changed, and timing adjusted. Need your precise model.

Marsic

Cadet
After looking through whole documentation and paperology i was able to notice this, EC DECLARATION OF CONFORMITY paper has only M9.9D2 model serial number provided in range of 74919 ~ 99999 and that Chassiss nubmer is 77447. Also this picture about specifications is provided in owner's manual ( picture is provided in link below. Hope this helps, if there is anything other i should look for let me know :)

pvanv

Admiral
There should be a label on the motor with model and serial. If you have a D2, the cam to swap to 15 is
364637180MTHROTTLE CAM$5.35

Marsic

Cadet
Hmm the id throws out cam for 9.9d2 on google, isn't it supposed to be replaced by 15d2 throttle?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Marsic,

There's a ton of information here a matter to search them probably under Tohatsu 9.9 to 15 Hp Conversion. Probably a Moderator can help to find it out for you. The conversion upgrade is quite simple and extremely cheap. Any info not clear just ask.

Both cams are way different, hill angles vary, compare both. Second one as suggested by Paul is what you need to buy..

9.9 Throttle Cam.JPG

15 HP Cam.JPG

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Marsic

Cadet
Hello Sea Rider!
Thanks for more info provided with pictures. Part is being ordered, may i just ask what is to do with "timing" that has to he adjusted?
Thanks in advance

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Both 9.9 & 15 HP shares same 250 CC block, the 9.9 is a detuned version. Besides having different carb cams have also different time advance settings, need to advance + more to work with new carb cam along a spot on peace of cake carb/timing synchronization. Can work that out when new cam arrives, just let know. See if can find the old thread about the conversion, will save me erasing my finger prints on the key board lol!!

Happy Boating

Marsic

Cadet
3M3637180M is the 15/18 hp part. Sorry.

Thank you very much again :)

One more thing that concerns me; I am pretty sure that my motor was 2000 year model and looks like this; http://imgur.com/ktFC241

rather than black /red or blue/black like the newer ones looked. And I am wondering if its the same part for 2003 as it should be for older?
That shouldn't really change anything right?
Sorry for the stupid questions, just don't want to end up with broken motor,

thanks again, Rok

Last edited:

pvanv

Admiral
Year of manufacture is irrelevant for servicing Tohatsu outboards; Model/serial is everything. The D2 was made obsolete by EPA rules, and replaced by the 4-strokes around 2000-2003 in North America.

Marsic

Cadet
Hello again! I have arrived on vacation and have motor with me now. Only problem i am running into now is how to unscrew and remove the cam screws?

pvanv

Admiral
All that info is in the Factory service manual, available from any dealer..... Sorry, but iBoats is not a dealer.. Don't bother with an aftermarket manual.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
OB's upgrades are not stated on the general 1-2 Service Manual, as Tohatsu doesn't like owners upgrading their detuned OB's for peanuts cost including legal issues.

To remove cam, will need to release the upper link rod that is attached to timing plate, just pull it upwards, once done will need to free timing plate cable package that connects to CD or even remove their electrical connections so to turn plate CW or CCW to whichever side has the best access to remove both nuts that holds cam in place. Reverse order when done.

Report once new 15 cam is in place....

Happy Boating

Last edited: