39 Hours and the Fuel Pump Craps Out

Turbotdi

Recruit
After having a bad experience with the dealer that sold me a new Nissan 30hp EFI tiller, I decided to do the work myself even though the motor is under warranty.

My 2014 Nissan/Tohatsu has only 39 hours on it when it decided to run for 3-4 minutes then die, and refuse to start after. I take time off work, pay tolls, sit in traffic to take the boat and motor back to the dealer who sold me the motor. Told the dealer it won't start. Told the dealer it ran in idle for about 3-4 minutes then died. Two days later I get a call from the dealer telling me there's nothing wrong with the motor and that it ran fine. They did retrieve a high temp fault and suspected I sucked up a plastic bag. ha ha ha. I asked if they were sure there's nothing wrong with it because of the distance I had to drive. They assured me it ran fine for them.

I pick up the motor and take it directly to the lake and the motor won't start. I'm pissed. Either the dealer knows what the problem is and since the motor is under warranty they don't want to fix it because Tohatsu doesn't compensate them enough. Or they lied, because I can't understand how it won't run for me but runs fine for them. I can't believe the incompetence. The dealer dinged me anyway for $125 diagnostic fee.

Today I pull the primary fuel pump apart and everything looks OK. The diaphragm show no tears. This morning I pull the VST off and the screen on the bottom of the fuel pump looks clean. I hook up 12VDC to the fuel pump and it ran but had a high pitched squeal and the seized up. SO....I'm thinking the fuel pump was on it's last breath of life....OR it's a pump that MUST be run in liquid only. OH, before I started all of this I tried to start the motor at home with the muffs after my trip to the dealer and the lake. The motor started, ran for a couple minutes and died then refused to start again. Then I grabbed some Quick Start Ether, gave a shot into the intake and the motor started, ran for about 10 seconds then died. So, I'm convinced it's a fuel delivery problem. What I don't like is the price of that fuel pump $390. OUCH! Should have bought an Etec.

pvanv

Admiral
Tohatsu outboards are serviced based on model/serial, not year. Assuming your model is MFS30B, but it also might be a C from your description. You don't understand the nuances of the systems of your motor, and don't understand how Tohatsu dealers are organized and compensated -- the flat rate warranty system pays them fairly for their labor; You also don't understand the differences in high pressure two stroke motors vs. EFI four stroke motors. The only similarity is that they are both outboards.

Nobody here is interested in your personal schedule or the road tolls involved in getting to the dealer, though everyone knows and appreciates how inconvenient it can be to fit an extra errand into the daily schedule. We just want to understand the technical details so we can help you. Your being upset, and blaming the dealer is completely non-productive. Anger and frustration does nothing to help. Your dealer can connect to a laptop and see the memories in the ECU. In your case, apparently the only significant fault code indicated a brief overheat. That could have happened if you ran on muffs without blocking the lower water strainer, or if you didn't have a robust enough flow from the hose. Since it ran fine for them, and not for you, you either have an intermittent problem (hard to ferret out), or your setup at the boat has a problem.

Now that your inexperience has destroyed the FFP, you need a new one -- and owner abuse is not covered by warranty. If you think that the FFP is expensive, wait until you price the high pressure pump on an etec. Rather than just pulling stuff apart willy nilly, a competent technician would diagnose the problem. If the motor starts and runs fine in the test tank, and there aren't any significant errors logged in the ECU, what would you expect them to do, just guess? Replace some part just for the sake of replacing a part? And... While a motor will start on ether, that practice can crack a ring (or worse) on any motor. Yes, it would appear that you have found a fuel delivery issue -- and now that the FFP is shot, a new one (which is now definitely required) may (or may not) fix everything. There is a possibility that the FFP was starting to fail (it is cooled and lubricated by fuel, so running it dry probably killed it regardless, and now we will never know for sure).

I don't know what value you place on your own time, labor, and frustration, but since you are under warranty, I would take the motor to a dealer, and see whether they will be willing to work on your motor under warranty, even though you blew up the FFP. The Tohatsu factory tends to be pretty understanding, so they may honor the warranty... because there is a reasonable possibility that the pump was starting to fail before you wrecked it.

va3cgt

Cadet
My rant, Part 2

I was right, the dealer here in Ontario Canada was incompetent.

I've worked in the automotive business for decades. I also do my own vehicle repairs and maintenance. NO, I do NOT have a mechanics license or for that matter a marine mechanics license. But what I do have is the ability to smell BS...especially from dealers, both automotive, marine, ATV , small engines ect...Dealers 'think' everyone who walks through their door is ignorant and stupid about mechanics.

There are plenty of licensed mechanics who are school smart but not very knowledgable when in the shop holding tools.

I sourced a aftermarket fuel pump which delivered was about $100. I found the China supplier who supplies the aftermarket retail, and the pumps were about $40 with a minimum order of 200 pieces. How dealers and online retailers can charge upwards of $400 USD is criminal. Yeah, I know, the chinese ones won't last but I can buy 4 pumps for the cost of one from a authorized stealership.

Dealers 'think' they know everything but they know nothing about being honest with their customers OR employing competent people who will listen and accurately diagnose the problem. And having spent the last 2 years dealing with VW and their diesel scandal, it shows how low manufacturers will go to deceive the public. Dealers, especially franchise dealerships are in business to MAKE LOTS OF MONEY anyway possible. I guess my dealer thought I was going to bring the motor back again and allow them to do the old "process of elimination" at my cost. Just keep replacing part until it works.

Anyway, my motor purrs now. Paul your a nice guy who has helped my out over the years but I think some humble pie might me in order.

Now to write a email to the owner and ask them if their so called "mechanic" is really a mechanic and not some high school kid with a couple auto shop classes under his belt they hired at minimum wage.

Have a nice day!

pvanv

Admiral
Tohatsu America would like to know about any problem dealers. I'm sure they would like to hear from you.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You're right to be extremely upset when dealers don't do their homework right, shame on them..

Happy Boating