2004 Honda 225 starving for gas at higher RPM(3000-5000)

freedom49

Seaman Apprentice
This motor some days comes out of the water easy and fly across the water only a few minutes later surges and slow downs then picks up again ! is been to Honda dealer still there after a month, and computer shows nothing only shows rpm ( at trothle speed) fluctuate by 100.00?and thats it and here are the list of work done by mechanic so far and every sea trail failed!
-all gas lines from gas tank including bulb were replaced .
-low and high pressure fuel filter changed and VST drained so was the water separator inside and external.
-the fuel pump was replaced as the mechanic said it could be that?!
-disconnect the gas line and connected a external gas tank with 94 octane gas directly to the motor.
-change the "Y" valve coming out of gas tank which supplies gas to main and small kicker.
after all the above some improvements but still dos it again. HELP please

ahicks

Captain
Might be nice to temporarily install a pressure gauge in the fuel line on the engine. When it starts acting up, if it really is a fuel delivery issue, it should be easily seen.

My experience has been, just because it acts like a fuel issue does not rule out the potential for ignition, electrical, or even temp related issues. The fuel pressure test should confirm or deny you're working in the right direction.

NastyWendy

Recruit
First get your fuel injectors cleaned. I mean removed and cleaned with new screens installed. If the miss persists then its the fuel pressure regulator that is starting to go out. Its not holding enough pressure in the fuel rail for the injectors to deliver the fuel needed to sustain the higher rpm. Have you run the engine on muffs/hose and tried to see if it'll turn those rpm? Get a pair of NON CUTTING pliers and momentarily pinch the return hose from the fuel pressure regulator when the misfire occurs. If the misfire goes away then you know it is certainly the regulator. DO NOT KEEP THE FUEL RETURN LINE PINCHED.

Obviously the pinch test needs to be done with the engine running on muffs. The return line dips down close to where the high pressure pump is housed. You can grab and pinch it with long needle nose pliers. You don't have to "Gorilla Grip" squeeze it as all you are doing is forcing fuel pressure to raise by obstructing the return line.

Last edited:

Matt6187

Recruit
This motor some days comes out of the water easy and fly across the water only a few minutes later surges and slow downs then picks up again ! is been to Honda dealer still there after a month, and computer shows nothing only shows rpm ( at trothle speed) fluctuate by 100.00?and thats it and here are the list of work done by mechanic so far and every sea trail failed!
-all gas lines from gas tank including bulb were replaced .
-low and high pressure fuel filter changed and VST drained so was the water separator inside and external.
-the fuel pump was replaced as the mechanic said it could be that?!
-disconnect the gas line and connected a external gas tank with 94 octane gas directly to the motor.
-change the "Y" valve coming out of gas tank which supplies gas to main and small kicker.
after all the above some improvements but still dos it again. HELP please

Hi I am having the same problem mine is a 225 Honda and this past weekend it was like it was starving for fuel I pull it back to idle and it stayed cranked ??? I was at wide open at a one point pulled back to idle and motor cut off and then acted like my batteries was dead started clicking Lille the we're completely dead let the motor sit for a minute and cranked back up