3 Years Sitting

Marvin122

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Tohatsu Guru,

I just purchased a 1982 Sea Nymph with an NS55B. I have an appointment with a mechanic tomorrow to check out the motor. It has been sitting for 3 years but before that ran great.

I am going to change:
the plugs
hoses
impeller
and spray gas oil mixture in the cylinder so I don't get a dry start.

is there anything else you would recommend?

thanks,

Marvin

Last edited by a moderator:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Marvin122 - Your own thread and welcome aboard.

Please don't hijack threads. Read the Help Tip on top of the page. Removed your email addy because this forum only works by publicly sharing information.

pvanv

Admiral
Marvin,

Be aware that the old 55's are very obsolete. While the water impeller is available for the 55B, the complete kit is not; No carb kits; few electrical parts, and almost no mechanical parts. In essence, if it starts and runs OK, cool, but beware that if anything breaks, you likely will be in the market for a different motor.

Marvin122

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you pvanv for the information.

GA_Boater thanks for the user instructions I will look into how to great a thread now, my apologies

Marvin-

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Just carry on with this thread. It is your thread and good members like pvanv and others will answer questions. Feel free to start new threads on new issues or to brag how good she is when you get her running. :D

Hope you get some long time use out the NS55B.

Marvin122

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys. So far I've gotten an appointment to get the impeller done, the carbs are being redone, and and I have replaced the broken fuel filter.

I have pulled up most of the carpet and the floors have rotted around some of the edges. I am contemplating cutting the outsides out and replacing them or just removing the whole floor. What do you all think?

The mechanics look good, steering, trim, throttle ect all seem functional however I will need a new throttle cable down the road it looks kind of frayed.

I'm thinking about taking all the bad wood out and replacing it but I have not decided if I should go with carpet or I have seen other talk about vinyl.

Let me know your thoughts,

Thanks

Marvin

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Post some pics so we can see what you see. Some rot will probably lead to a lot of rot.

Marvin122

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Attachments

• photo268134.JPG
    photo268134.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 1
  • photo268135.JPG
    photo268135.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo268136.JPG
    photo268136.JPG
    344.7 KB · Views: 1

Marvin122

Seaman Apprentice
I am thinking about replacing the whole floor with 1/2 plywood (not pressure treated) and seal it with wither resin or epoxy. Any thoughts...

Marvin122

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Guys, well I have the restoration all complete minus this NS55B. It's at the shop now and they say I need points and a coil. Your right it is hell finding these parts. Does anyone have any suggestions on
Finding out the year?
Finding the parts?
What type of used engine is a good replacement?

Here are a few pictures of the restore.. I am so anxious to get out on the water...