Tohatsu M18C2 won't start

GlassHopper9

Recruit
Hello, I just purchased a small boat that came with a tohatsu m18c2 and am trying to get it started. The motor has been sitting for a long time, but seems to be in good condition still. I replaced the oil, cleaned the carb, replaced the impeller, checked the CDI box for spark and it has good spark. When I go to pull start it I am able to pull it to a certain extent until there is a kickback from the engine. I think this may have something to do with the timing because it seems to be firing at the wrong time. I am not quite familiar with the timing on outboards, as I've never had to deal with it but any information would be appreciated. This motor is old and the owners manual doesn't have any info pertaining to this. Thanks

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Timing could be a broken flywheel key, bad trigger coil or an adjustment to the timing link and the service manual has complete instructions for this.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Start by removing rope starter assy( 3 bolsts + starter lock link) to see exposed flywheel. Remove flywheel and check key condition, if rusted, thin or non existing need a new one. Just place key inside shaft's groove, sit flywheel in place. .

For that will need tools, a short cut will be to check if carb opens fully when throttled to max. Faster than removing flywheel.

Check Tohatsu dealers for Service Manual.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The easy check out prior removing flywheel..

Throttle grip to max till stops, check if carb opens all the way to 180?, while leaving there, check timing plate under flywheel, will see some lines marked, being the largest 0 deg. Check at which mark plate has stopped when at middle matting surfaces. Don't have specs for that 18C2 which is an old model to newly released 18E2.

18 HP Timing Marks.JPG
Should stop aroung 23? to 25 ? ?

2-Mating Surface.JPG

So, carb must be fully opened while timing advance stops between those mentioned timing degrees. Check and report back what found, can go from there...

Happy Boating