1996 Nissan NS90A stars on first fire when cold, cranks but wont fire when hot

wbarter

Recruit
There is some sort of electrical component that must be stressed when hot and prevent the ignition system from firing. After the engine cools it fires up on first try. Its not vapor lock. what ignition parts seated on the motor would you replace first then next etc? convinced that when motor shuts off their is no cool water flowing and for a brief period the engine components get even hotter causing this part to fail until it cools. Any thoughts? what would you try replacing first....and following that etc? what priority /best guess? Thank you so much for your help....I could deal with this if this happened to me...but if it were to happen to my wife or children....this would not be good...I have to fix this issue.

pvanv

Admiral
Don't guess. Diagnose. How long have you had this motor, and when did this start happening? Have you actually tested for spark when hot? It's entirely possible that the hot soak restart is a problem due to flooding. Ignition is CDI, so if it failed hot it would likely stop running, which is apparently not the case.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
How much time must pass to cool down from hot before starts back again ? Is choke manual or electric ? Does OB misses during short or long operation or at full throttle ?

Happy Boating

wbarter

Recruit
Owned for a year....it will start cold and sometimes not warm.....convinced its an electronic componemt that is heating and expanding...is there an electronic part you would conside creati g this symptom? 30 to 46 min cool down will yield a perfect quick start...no missing

pvanv

Admiral
If you are convinced that it's electrical (which is not likely, since it does not stall), whip out your Factory service manual (available from any Tohatsu dealer), and diagnose the ignition system. You will need a good analog ohm meter, and a volt meter with DVA capability.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yep, swapping electric/electronic parts to test and find out which one is the culprit is a costly form of diagnosing, unless you happen to have all those parts at hand to swap and test individually..

Happy Boating