Nissan 40 HP tiller 2002 virtually unused

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Supposedly started once on his driveway when first purchased. Not sure that it ever was winterized since the guy is deceased. How much would you pay for it ?

pvanv

Admiral
What is the actual model? There were both carbureted and TLDI versions available at that time. If a slightly-used motor is in the store, and a current model, and appearing/running as new, it would be worth about 1/2 the cost of a new one at that time. Parts are available for both the NSD40A/B and the NS40D2. The NSD40B2 is a current model. YMMV.

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is the carbureted version. I believe MSRP at $4400 and has the needed tiller. It has been winterized and is being taken to a shop to be surveyed and checked out. Not sure if I want it too much but $2200 seems rather cheap and probably unacceptable to the seller if everything checks out. Maybe I misunderstood your comment, are you saying the original 2002 retail price or did you mean the 2017 as the starting point ?

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Check both as a reference if possible. Asume the original retail price cost less than the 2017 model...if so, offer half of it. No good to keep a unused OB forever if no other family member will use it, cross your fingers to accept your kind offer.

Happy Boating

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class
To be honest with you this is my brothers deal. He's been looking for the last 3 months for a 40 HP tiller steer that has avoided salt for the most part and within 100 miles of Harrisburg. He's still hasn't found one at a decent price, must be a run on them.

Initially the guy was asking for 3k and winced when my brother mentioned 2250. Maybe the surveyor will burst his bubble. So you think around 2200 is a fair price for a 2002 practically virgin motor with the necessary tiller, not much more ?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The actual model isn't known, price will depend based on model as all 40 HP doesn't cost same. Inquire actual model being offered.

Happy boating

pvanv

Admiral
The motor is 15 years old; the water pump impeller is likely dried up -- might still work, but will not last too long; Likewise, seals have been drying out for 15 years. No way of knowing how well it was "winterized"; If any fuel was left in the carbs or pump or filter or lines for 15 years -- or if it has automatic oiling, and that fluid has been left there for 15 years -- there will be a fair amount of work getting it out of mothballs. That model has been obsolete, and not available in North America for over a dozen years. Yes, 2 grand, give or take, (plus a water pump service and fuel system flush/check-out) is a fair price. What would you expect to pay for a 15-year-old car?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yep, let know sellers that's a 15 year old Pandora Motor full of hidden surprises along too much costly work, spare parts included to restore that 40 to a acceptable working condition. I'd offer 1.5 K give & take. Bring cash, 100 dollar bills seen one on top of the othe broadly favours any purchase. LOL!! Good Luck.

Happy Boating

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Appreciate your guys experienced input. Not sure how much more it matters, it was expressed that this motor was stored inside the garage.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Appreciate your guys experienced input. Not sure how much more it matters, it was expressed that this motor was stored inside the garage.

It really matters, tell sellers that stored inside a garage doesn't mean that OB is in mint cond specially if have not been correcty winterized prior sitting eternally for 15 years. Fuel leftovers from fuel pump, filters, carbs must be removed if wanting to stop an engine for long time periods. Water pump impeller, lower leg seals should be shot already, needs to be replaced with new ones even before firing OB on water.

Happy Boating