2012 Tohatsu 6hp won't idle

pvanv

Admiral
also, is there a way to inspect the fuel pump first - I am wondering if it is not getting enough gas to the carb - thanks!
Possible to attach a pressure gauge, but they "never" fail that way; I've seen a few that blew out the diaphragm, which dumped a ton of fuel into the crankcase. That would be obvious, because when priming, the fuel pressure would not hold, as the fuel leaks into the crankcase.

pvanv

Admiral
ok - I removed carb - it looks like its brand new, not a bit of residue or varnish anywhere - jets totally clean also. the bowl was full of fuel so probably not a fuel pump issue.
You cannot see the low-speed passages; also, the air bleed jet for the pilot circuit is typically clear, even though the pilot circuit can have some buildup -- which again is not visible, because it's internal to the casting.
Never leave the carb full, unless you know that you are running tomorrow; a few days to a couple of weeks with fuel evaporating out of the bowl will definitely gum up the passages.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Mine was pretty clean when I had the problem too. Do as Paul says... disassemble and soak, then blow out the passages.

There are only two ways fuel gets into the throat of the carb (well, maybe three if there's bowl vent). After you've soaked it, put one end down against the bench put an air hose in the top, sealed by holding a rag around it, and blow air into the carb throat. The air has to come out those 2 (or 3) passages, plus the air bleed (which is also very small). This way you're forcing any small debris back "from whence it came" and hopefully out of the carb body.

bullfrog88

Cadet
Hi - I sprayed it good several times and put it back on motor - didnt idle at first until i revved it good, real good lol - now it idles. BTW, I only use non-ethanol gas. I will water test it in next few days and let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

pvanv

Admiral
From here forward, assuming you have cleaned the carb OK, you must empty the carb at the end of each day, unless you know you will be running the next day. You can run the motor with fuel disconnected until it stalls, or after shutting down, you can open the drain screw in the carb bowl. Even with fresh, non-E gas, deposits will accumulate.