Honda weight, power ratio.

Hankt3

Recruit
Hi everyone! I'm new to the boating world and need some advices from you guys here, I recently bought a beautiful boat with no outboard motor in it, it is a 96 Glastron SSV 195 bowrider 19.5 footer, the previous motor was a 175 Johnson 2 strokes, I have the opportunity to get a good deal either an 03 Johnson 115 hp 2 strokes 30" leg or an 06 Honda 225hp 30" leg, both come with cable ,control and wirings. I personal think the Honda could be over weight (620 lbs) and power for my boat but I like it very much it's quiet ,less smoke and efficiency compare to the 2 strokes Johnson, What should I take and why? Thanks

jbcurt00

Staff member
Neither

1 is too small, the 115

The other is likely over power, the 225.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

JB has your answer

your boat has a max hp of something like 180. so the 225 will be too large of a motor (over powered)

you want to stick to around 70% of your max power or more for proper performance that would put you in a 125-135 hp range on the bottom end.

if the controls are still on the boat, i would be looking for a Johny-rude to drop back on there

comparing same hp motors:

4-strokes are considerably heavier than 2-strokes as the motor itself is much larger. this is a consideration as the max weight you can put in your boat also includes the weight of the motor, so the heavier the motor, the less people and stuff you can bring

2-strokes have a fatter mid-upper RPM power curve than most 4-stroke engines