Nissan NS40C - Ball barring found in housing when pulling out of storage?

Blackcrowe14

Cadet
Hi all,

Spring has sprung in Ontario, and I was pulling my Nissan out from warm storage this morning to hook it up to my boat. While moving it I heard a rolling soung from inside the housing. After bolting on the outboard, I popped the lid and looked for what was making the loose rolling sound. I was surprised to find a ball barring about the size of a pea rolling about in the bottom. No idea where it came from, but I would like to know. Unsure if it was dropped in the side by someone... kids can do strange things! Or perhaps it fell out of some component in the engine.

If anyone has any ideas, I would love some feedback. I don't want to start it and have it blow up because this bal;l barring was missing.

Please let me know if you have any feedback as I am baffled by this mystery ball barring!

Thanks and happy Spring to the board! Appreciate all the years of info you have all shared with me, long time reader, first time poster.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

There's none ball bearing outside powerhead whatsoever. Someone is doing tricks...

Happy Boating

Blackcrowe14

Cadet
Thanks SR! I figured there might be some trickery afoot!

Changed my plugs today, fitted a new gas line with connectors in the tank and hose... sad to realize the replacement connectors from hose to motor were both wrong and didn't fit. Boo! Will try to fire it up this week and see how she runs after sleeping the winter away!

pvanv

Admiral
There IS a 5/16" steel ball that is the detent locator for the shifter. If the holder for it has wiggled loose, or if the stopper plate is loose, that ball could fall out.
The correct primer hose with correct connectors and bulb is 3B7702004M, and fits all Tohatsu 2-strokes from 5 to 90 hp.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yep, it's not a ball bearing as such, it's a steel ball. When moving shift lever forward, neutral, reverse should feel a restriction when ball engages at each position, if not and lever moves freely, ball is missing.

Happy Boating

Blackcrowe14

Cadet
Thanks for the info guys, and yeah, that sounds like the part of found. It likely fell out when I was transporting it in my truck.
Can you please describe where this loose plate is located? Is it near the shirt lever on the side or deeper in the guts of the motor?

I'm hoping it's an easy drop the ball back in, tighten it up and get on the water!

Thanks again, and appreciate the hose part #! I made the mistake of trying to build my own with aftermarket hose and connectors rather than just ordering the entire setup ready to go... live and learn.

If the chart I attached can help, please let me know!

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170403-111147.png
    Screenshot_20170403-111147.png
    623 KB · Views: 0

pvanv

Admiral
It's item 20 in your parts catalog giagram. In the current catalog, it's item 11:

002-21035-3_FIG16.JPG

Blackcrowe14

Cadet
Well guys, you were right about the steel ball and the shift plate you described... it definitely came from there. Now my issue is, when I try to put the ball back in the spring load casing that is next to the plate, the ball slips out as soon as I shift.

My question is, is the plate with the 3 hole positions for shifting supposed to be straight up and down (90 degrees) nearly flush with the spring loaded casing? Just wondering if it has bet out over time. Currently with the ball in place, it's hard as a rock to shift when ithe ball stays in position, and it squeezes it out 90% of the time.

Is that plate needing some plier bending, or is there a special lube that will make the plate run more smoothly over the ball?

BTW- I have removed the spring loaded casing, cleaned the spring from gunk, and tightened the bolts as far towards the plate as possible. Still no luck.

Thanks for the help guys!

pvanv

Admiral
The 3-position stopper plate is supposed to be square with the shift shaft. The gap between the stopper plate and the ball bearing holder should be about 5/32" (1/2 of the 5/16" ball). Ordinary waterproof grease should be fine.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Sometimes shifting OB while OFF can turn hard to shift, with hand turn flywheel CW while shifting. Apply a good grease on small ball. Remove kill cord, just in case...

Happy Boating

Blackcrowe14

Cadet
Hi guys,
Thanks again for the help. I took the boat out today without the steel ball in place and it shifted well. Performed the shifts just as it did last year without issues.

End of the day... I will see if I can coax the ball back in, but it's not a deal breaker. It was likey rolling around the casing for all of 2016, so at least I removed it!

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! Now I just gotta figure out the stalling (other post I just made)

Thanks again, and happy boating all!