Any Tohatsu Techs?

PhrozeN_FisH

Seaman Apprentice
I work for a Mercury Dealership and just had a tech return from school where they stated that Tohatsu had a bulletin about drilling a location or two to prevent freeze damage to the water tube. Mercury; However, will not release this info to their dealers. Is anyone aware of such a bulletin?

Thanks for any help.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
By water tube you mean the large one that deliveres water from water pump to powerhead ?

Happy Boating

PhrozeN_FisH

Seaman Apprentice
Yes. The tube that supplies water from the water pump to the powerhead. I guess there were instances where the motor held enough water if tilted where freeze damage could occur and distort the water tube.

pvanv

Admiral
That bulletin applied to some serial numbers of 25 and 30 hp 4st Long shaft motors only. There is supposed to be a drain to allow the midsection to drain, so that if stored in freezing weather, the water tube doesn't collapse from water freezing in the midsection; if it isn't there, you can drill one. If you need more info, I can look up the bulletin.

Last edited:

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I whant to see this bulletin.........I saw 4 diff?rents 25 EFI that have damaged water tube by freezing, and 4 diff?rents Merc dealer said there is not bulletin for that.

​One tell that need to drill a hole but not whant to tell exactly where.....

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If leaving OB hanging on back of a boat while moored on very cold environments, better is to rise lower leg fully and crank the OB electrically or manually for some seconds to remove any probable excess of water left in powerhead, OTOH once leg is fully risen, water should exit through lower leg, prop by inertia without cranking OB.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
If leaving OB hanging on back of a boat while moored on very cold environments, better is to rise lower leg fully and crank the OB electrically or manually for some seconds to remove any probable excess of water left in powerhead, OTOH once leg is fully risen, water should exit through lower leg, prop by inertia without cranking OB.

Happy Boating
No. The problem is water inside the driveshaft housing on some Long models. It can freeze and crush the water pipe. In-the-field correction is to either install the newer driveshaft housing, or drill a 5mm drain hole near the bottom of the driveshaft chamber.

Call Tohatsu America at 469-771-3740 and they can fax or email the information to you. They also have a template for you to locate the hole without disassembling the motor (so you don't accidentally drill into the water pipe). It is not in an actual "service bulletin".

Last edited:

PhrozeN_FisH

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry, I haven't been around for a few days. Thanks; pvanv, for the info. I will try contacting Tohatsu.

Just spoke to Tohatsu and they are supposed to be e-mailing me that info. If anyone is interested in seeing it I will post it.

Thanks, Rod