Tohatsu 9.8 4stroke flooding

Deweynwm

Recruit
When you pump bulb and engine cranks it runs fine till needle seats then overflows.I have changed needle checked float even taken toothpick with fine lapping compound on seat. Nothing I have done works. I have 40 years experience as outboard mechanic. This is about to whip me.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like the float isn't moving freely, so it hangs up and doesn't close.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
while the carb is out, can you put slight pressure (5psi max) onto the fuel inlet and see how hard you have to press up the float to seal the needle/seat?

Deweynwm

Recruit
When I blow in the fuel inlet it takes very little pressure on the float valve to seat it. It almost seems like my fuel pressure is blowing the needle off of the seat

pvanv

Admiral
Assuming your model is MFS9.8A3. No way you are getting too much pressure from the pump. The needle is not seating, or the o-ring bowl gasket is damaged.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Is the needle in sharp pointy state, if not, change it. Check with a flashlight if needle seat is round and in immaculate shinny state. If not, make a thim cotton swab using a wooden toothpick, moisten it in water and apply toothpaste on it, insert on valve and gentrly turn it in circles applying slight finger pressure in, change swaps till last one comes completely clean...Post results.

Happy Boating