everyone loves a good story Honda BF-90-A

stormmnv

Petty Officer 3rd Class
back in early March I purchased a BF-90-A that the owner was told had a bad head gasket, bad carbs and could cost up to 2k to repair. The owner opted to replace with a rebuilt Evenrude and put the Honda up for sale.
After doing a compression test and leak down test, all tested out good, (185 psi all cylinders + - 4psi) as this engine had been setting for over a year, I pulled the carbs and soaked them in carb cleaner, sprayed all jets and blew out with air and re-assembled.
New plugs, gas filter, thermostat, oil and oil filter, water pump, lower oil, adjust valves and the engine would not fire on cyl. three and four. Good spark, so pulled carbs again and ran through a sonic cleaner. Inspected these carbs with a fine tooth comb and found that the #40 jets were plugged. Tried every thing to break loose whatever was plugging them to no avail. Ordered new 40 jets, and idle jets with more gaskets and re-assembled. Number four carb came back on line, but #3 was still dead. Swapped #3 with #1 and now # 1 cyl. went dead. OK, ordered a new carb and it now runs fine... Finally, I can now sell this engine......