tohatsu 2006 4 stroke 9.8 hp runs then dies and will restart but dies again

chinchilla916

Recruit
Hi everybody!!!. I have a tohatsu 2006 4 stroke 9.8 hp runs less than 1 minute then dies and will restart but dies again. I bought a primer bulb thinking that was the issue but still the same i think it might be a electrical issues any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Start by squeezing the primer bulb, if it stays running look for an air leak or a failing fuel pump. The primer bulb itself wouldn't be the problem.

chinchilla916

Recruit
i tried that too, while its running i tried squeezing the bulb but it still dies out. I even tried spraying starting fluid into the intake when it sounds like its about to die out to make sure its not a fuel issue.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Check for spark when it dies, either use a timing light, or a spark check tool.

pvanv

Admiral
Check for spark when it dies, either use a timing light, or a spark check tool.
Yes. That's a very good way to see if you have a deficient coil or CD, or one of the low-voltage devices, such as the exciter or pulser. Likewise, it's possible that you have a float or choke that is stuck, allowing too much fuel. In that case, a cold motor wants a lot of gas, but as it warms, it floods. What does the condition of the plugs look like?
When you say you replaced the primer bulb, did you do the entire fuel primer hose, or just the bulb?
Assuming you find that the ignition fails after a minute or so, you have a marginal electronic component; in that case, grab your Factory service manual, and check the resistances of the exciter, pulser, CD, and coil.
Incidentally, never specify a Tohatsu OB by year; always model/serial.

chinchilla916

Recruit
ok i hooked a spark tester inline today and it does look like its producing spark but it stops when it dies out like it suppose too and also this is a the pull cord type of outboard not electric crank
The plugs look a little black so maybe it is a stuck float.
I just replaced the primer bulb no hoses.
Sorry its a mfs9.8a3 036982xe

pvanv

Admiral
Time to whip out the Factory SM, and a good ohm meter, and check over the ignition system.

chinchilla916

Recruit
ok guys it was a dirty carb took it a part used compressed air and put it back together and it runs completely fine now