gouging on drive shaft?

jackrabbit66

Seaman
So I've taken the lower unit off my 1997 Tohatsu 120HP 2 storke outboard to inspect unit & replace impeller when I noticed something alarming with the drive shaft. The drive shaft is rubbing against the top of the plastic impeller case. it appears as though the shaft has lost a small amount of circumference, not much maybe .015" enough for you to clearly feel it when you rub your finger over it and its smooth shinny metal. the plastic on the inside of the impeller case is also warn down a little. is this an indication of a bent drive shaft or something else? what can i do about this?

Attachments

• photo260243.jpg
    photo260243.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo260244.jpg
    photo260244.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 0

pvanv

Admiral
Odds are the pump case was installed a little off center. I say this because the marking on the drive shaft seems to go all the way around. If it were just on one side, that might indicate a shaft that was running eccentrically. I would ignore it.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Strange, impeller housing locks on guides and centers itself when bolts are adjusted. There's always a bit of scratch on shafft portion that spins inside water pump housing. I polish mine from time to time with sand paper to smooth cond.

Happy Boating

jackrabbit66

Seaman
Thats what I was thinking too but I don't know anything about outboards so I figured Id ask just in case it was a sign of something serious. Wouldn't want to have to replace the lower unit because i overlooked something like this. Thanks!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The whole lower unit is 100% repairable as the whole engine.. First time seing that isssue on a water pump housing. Assume that have sanded that shaft portion before assembling back housing ?

Happy Boating