Tohatsu 2014 20 hp 4 stroke carburetor removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

strumsilly

Recruit
I purchased a used boat powered by a Tohatsu 2014 20 hp 4 stroke with electric stare and tilt. The engine has a very low idle and hesitates or stalls when taking off. It runs fine at higher rpms, just bogs/ stalls when taking off, even when warm. . I have only used non ethanol fuel. I flushed the tank and put new gas. ran some sea foam. Plugs look fine. Thinking partially clogged low speed jet. . Was going to pull tha carb to see if there was any junk in the bowl and jets, but I cant get the back carb bolt out. there doesn't seem to be any way to get a socket with extension in there from the front. I took the plastic cowling off and can get a 10mm wrench on but there isn't enough room to turn it and not enough room for the box end. It's spring here in N FL and with the fishing heating up I'll have to wait weeks for a mechanic to get to it. I've rebuilt carbs before on older engines. advice. Am I missing something. I searched this site, and you tube/google already. also looking for a good manual.

pvanv

Admiral
Start with the Factory service manual, available from any Tohatsu dealer. You will want to specify actual model (20C or 20D) as year is irrelevant.
When we work on these, we usually take the intake manifold and carb off as a unit. Much faster and easier.

I have the same problem with stalling and bogging. Did you find out what the problem was?
And yes that inside carb bolt was a sob to remove.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have the same problem with stalling and bogging. Did you find out what the problem was?
And yes that inside carb bolt was a sob to remove.

Over 2 years ago the OP drove by, made one post and left. He won't be telling how he fixed it.

Start your own thread. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.