NS30A4 voltage output

Keith E

Recruit
I just installed a new altinator coil. voltage is 15+ volts seams high. is this normal

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds normal if you don't have a voltage regulator option. If you intend to add a battery, make sure you add the voltage regulator or you will cook the battery over time.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Most of the time there isn't a problem with cooking the battery unless you run for long periods of time at high RPM's, Amps and voltage drop quickly at lower RPMs.

Not that a regulator isn't a good idea, but sometimes they aren't available or are too pricy.

Turning on any electrical item can help too, depth finder, radio, a light, these will all lower the volts getting to the battery.

A larger battery can take more of charge too, so don't skimp on battery size.

pvanv

Admiral
Voltage is irrelevant; current is what charges. If you have a battery connected, you will not see 15v. 12v systems are NOT TWELVE VOLTS. The battery is 13.2v when fully charged. Charging voltage must be higher than that in order to cause any charging. The alternator for that model only produces 80 watts (6 puny amps) at WOT, and just about zero near idle.

Keith E

Recruit
problem salved. found a brigs & straten rec/reg for a B&S mod 797375 that replaces the ns rectifer for $70.

Alumarine

Captain
I've used NTE5322 rectifiers from an electronics store on my old mercs I think they're $10

pvanv

Admiral
problem salved. found a brigs & straten rec/reg for a B&S mod 797375 that replaces the ns rectifer for $70.
Why on Earth would you spend more money for a wrong part? The correct part is:
3G2760600MRECTIFIER $63.88

Keith E

Recruit
the voltage w/ so high it w/ shuting down my eletronics. works great now. this item is regulator/ rectifier