Trying to locate obsolete parts Nissan NS70 A

mikkydee

Seaman Apprentice
I recently acquired a 70 hp Nissan outboard. Purrs like a kitten and 130 lbs of compression in each cylinder. There are a couple more parts I am trying to locate for this little jewel and I am having trouble find them.
1. I am trying to track down a couple of locating brackets for the motor cover and the online schematic shows these no longer available. Part number on the schematic is #353-67517-0According to the online schematics it shows the locating bracket but states it is no longer available. Any ideas on where to find these little guys?
2. I also need the tilt and trim switch that is on the shift lever. the schematic shows 2 different part numbers. 3A3-77130-0 for F type (whatever that means). and also the 353-77120-0 for the P type (whatever that means)
I do not know which one is actually the one I need or where to find this part. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

pvanv

Admiral
Type F is "fishing" (tiller steering). Type P is "pleasure" (RC).

You will need to fabricate the cowl parts locally, or salvage some from a used motor.

You need to diagnose whether you need the rocker switch at the RC box, or whether the solenoids have an issue.

The switch for the old-style RC box is likewise NLA. The current part for the current RC lever is
3A3725600MSWITCH ASSY, PTT

You may be able to adapt it if that is truly what you need.

mikkydee

Seaman Apprentice
Type F is "fishing" (tiller steering). Type P is "pleasure" (RC).

You will need to fabricate the cowl parts locally, or salvage some from a used motor.

You need to diagnose whether you need the rocker switch at the RC box, or whether the solenoids have an issue.

The switch for the old-style RC box is likewise NLA. The current part for the current RC lever is
3A3725600MSWITCH ASSY, PTT

You may be able to adapt it if that is truly what you need.

Thank you Paul for your helpful response. After doing a little more reading I am unsure if the problem with the tilt is the switch or the solenoids. Any advice on how to check the solenoids would be helpful before I start buying parts. Many thanks

pvanv

Admiral
A solenoid is essentially an electrically-controlled switch. Low-current control of a high-current set of contacts. Just like a car starter system, or the electric start of an outboard. Section 8 of the Factory service manual covers this very well, even though the M70A itself is not otherwise covered by that manual. If you apply power to the coil of the solenoid, it should cause a significant CLICK, and an ohm meter across the high-current contacts should go to zero. When you release power, the ohm meter across the high-current leads should show infinite. If this all sounds like hocus-pocus to you, seek the help of someone who is versed in automotive electrical work.

mikkydee

Seaman Apprentice
Yes that is definitely helpful. by applying power do you mean pressing the switch that delivers current to it or by using a jumper? If a jumper which wire should hot lead be applied to?

pvanv

Admiral
Since the switch itself is in question, jumpering it will tell you a lot. The switch is SPDT momentary; center lead is incoming 12v power; the two outer leads are for down and up respectively. Jumpering from the center of the switch to an outer wire should trigger the solenoid. Covered very well in the Factory service manual.

mikkydee

Seaman Apprentice
1. I was able to find the problem, the previous owner had the Wire connected to the heat sensor rather than the trim solenoid. Once I connected the correct wire to the proper solenoid trim worked fine. On another note, now there is a loose wire with no lead to connect to it on the overheat heat buzzer/senser. Any idea on what this wire should connect from? In other words the overheat buzzer has a ground wire connected to the head cover and nothing connected to the other wire. What should this connect to?

2. Also now that the trim is working I noticed a small leak at the top of one of the piston rams at the seal seat. Impossible to find this part now. Any suggestions on a fix?

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
2. Also now that the trim is working I noticed a small leak at the top of one of the piston rams at the seal seat. Impossible to find this part now. Any suggestions on a fix?
If you can take the cylinder off, you might try a local shop that rebuilds hydraulic cylinders. They likely have a slew of different sized seals and may have ones that fit.

pvanv

Admiral
If you can take the cylinder off, you might try a local shop that rebuilds hydraulic cylinders. They likely have a slew of different sized seals and may have ones that fit.
Yep.

As for the wiring, check the schematic on the last page of your owners manual, which you can DL from the manufacturer's website.