4 cycle impeller

rhunter73

Cadet
Just want to re-affirm that the You-Tube Videos regarding the 2 and 4 stroke 2-9.8 water pump replacement are correct.
1. Drift out the bottom roll pin on the shift rod.
2. Unscrew the four screws from the bottom unit.
3. You need help at the last screw, otherwise the unit will fall.
4. Dismount the bottom unit, it is about 10 lbs.
5 Unscrew the four screws around the plastic housing unit.
6. replace the impeller in the metal unit
7. back up the installation, be patient.
8 be patient
9 take your time.
9.1. Screw in the four screws in the bottom unit. You may need to move the shift lever.
takes about 20 minutes for a dumbo like me. You need a 10mm box driver set.
http://www.iboats.com/Water-Pump-Im...5108747--session_id.449205100--view_id.485903

Last edited by a moderator:

pvanv

Admiral
Never do just the impeller. Do the water pump kit. Lasts longer and pumps better.
Re-engaging the drive shaft will require a "feel".
But yes, your procedure is about right.
Don't drop/lose the drive pin for the impeller.

rhunter73

Cadet
PVANV, hopefully we can respectfully agree to disagree.
All pump housing; plastic casing and metal pump housing were all inspected and sound. If there were any aging, scratches or other signs of wear I recommend replacement. This outboard has less than 10 hours on it. There was no need to get a pump kit.
A feel is quite right
That little bit is a hard find, don't lose it.
Just an FYI, I ordered my first impeller from iboats and it did not fit. I requested a replacement and none were forth coming, for over 2 years.

The link on my first post has been edited. Those impellers inside diameter are too small. They do not work.

Roger.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
All pump housing; plastic casing and metal pump housing were all inspected and sound. If there were any aging, scratches or other signs of wear I recommend replacement. This outboard has less than 10 hours on it. There was no need to get a pump kit.
A feel is quite right
Just an FYI, I ordered my first impeller from iboats and it did not fit. I requested a replacement and none were forth coming, for over 2 years.

The link on my first post has been edited. Those impellers inside diameter are too small. They do not work.

Roger.

Does the impeller from the original link fit? Both links were/are to Sierra impeller 18-8920.

What does no replacement in 2 years mean?

pvanv

Admiral
A feel is quite right

Roger.
Unless many years of non-use, or a severe overheat (from running out of water), it seems unusual to even want to work on the water pump at less than 10 hours.

Typically, if the impeller is due for replacement, the wear plate and/or cup also have some grooving, causing excess side clearance even with a new impeller. Therefore it is usually prudent to replace the kit, since we are talking the same $100 an hour shop labor, an impeller that costs just about $19, vs. a kit that costs under $47. So saving that $28 usually results in a pump that doesn't pump as well or last as long.

If you get the actual OEM parts from a real Tohatsu dealer, you will find, over time, that the impellers are vastly superior in terms of durability, compared with most of the generic impellers. I can tell you that if the sierra photos in your link are accurate, the 8920 impeller does not even have the proper number of vanes. Another reason to get the OEM part.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I agree on that statement. Always buy Tohatsu impellers, lasts real looong, aftter market ones don't. Material made is all about longevity..

Happy Boating