Nissan 9.9 four-stroke; starter won't turn the engine over...help please?

onepyramid

Seaman Apprentice
VOILA!!! That was the problem. I hooked up my auto jumper cable to replace the positive cable from the battery and it turned over nice and strong!

The outboards cable ends were shrink wrapped, so I could not see any of the crimps. Now to the store to buy four new ring terminals and I should be good to go.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! to all that helped.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Great to hear!

Why do you need four ring terminals? Seems like you'd just need two... the one at the battery and the one at the solenoid. You may just need one. You may also need to replace that cable if the corrosion is too bad inside the cable, if you can't cut it back some to find a fresh section. Putting a new crimp on a corroded section doesn't buy you much reliability. If you have to replace the cable, try to use real marine cable. It is tinned so it will last much longer than something like an automotive cable. You can use an automotive cable in a pinch... but you'll be revisiting this issue at some point.

A different, but related thought:
If you replace the wire, I'm always thinking of upsizing if it will fit, as it always adds a margin for you (less voltage drop). Most marine systems are designed for 10% voltage drop, so they'll use the most 'economical' cable that will do the job sincee they are buying thousands or hundreds of thousands at a time. They are not buying the size that will provide the most power for the device. You can add a few cents (or even a couple bucks) if you're only buying one cable at a time and improve performance.