warning lamp scare

hipster dufus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
use high octane gas w additives for winter storage on my 30 hp efi 4 stroke tohatsu. put about a gallon in the tank,non ethanol, and start engine every 2 weeks and idle for 10 minutes during the 2 month down time. took my rig out today, had an extra gallon of new non ethanol with me. wanted to run tank down and then fill up with new gas. old tank was mixed w seafoam and stabil.engine started to act like it was out of gas then warning lamp and beeper started flashing. shut down, checked oil level ,looked good. filled tank up with new gas, primed and started. ran fine on way back to ramp. checked manual, maps sensor. could running out of fuel cause this?oil not the issue. water pump serviced at 120 hrs. engine has 149 on it now. someone allay my fears.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Did OB run OK with fresh fuel and kept running top soon after? If so, it's a fuel related issue. I'm not a big fan re using stored fuel for long time periods, with time fuel loses octane & power. Fresh fuel on every outing..

Happy Boating

wrench 3

Commander
You said "Checked manual, maps sensor." Do you mean that the warning light was flashing a code for a MAP sensor failure? If so, it wouldn't be caused by low fuel. It could be caused by moisture in the sensor. It's basically just a vacuum sensor for the intake manifold.

pvanv

Admiral
Probably just condensation on the MAP sensor or maybe the temp sensor. Wouldn't hurt to make sure the connectors are on properly.

Keep in mind that if a condition such as low oil pressure comes and goes, it will give an on/off to both the warning horn and the lamp, just as a bad MAP sensor would. For example, if the right stop/turn lamp is out on a trailer, and the driver pumps the brakes, it will look to someone following as though the left turn signal is set.

If the problem does not come back, don't worry about it.

hipster dufus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
oil is fresh. where is map sensor located. i will check before next trip out. researched online and found newer manual. lot more info in it. do dealers have software to troubleshoot. what i mean is there something like an obd tool?

wrench 3

Commander
Dealers do have tools like an automotive scanner but they are manufacturer specific. There's no standard like OBDII.
I'm afraid that I don't have a manual for your engine but if you have access to one you should be able to get the location of the MAP sensor.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Not sure if yours is similar to or exactly like anMFS30B, but in the pic the MAP sensor is #21:
[h=1][/h]

Attachments

• photo259229.jpg
    photo259229.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 0