2016 Honda BF50 Shifting problem

Greetings,
Tried to launch today (river walleye) and my 2016 Honda BF50 (tiller) prop wouldn?t engage (behaved like it was neutral when in forward or reverse). After frustratingly scouring the web and examining the outboard, my buddy and I figured out that the shift rod joint nut had shaken itself loose from the lower shift rod. We reattached them (see picture), and now it shifts as it should. However, I?m wondering if anyone knows how the system should be adjusted. That is, if the lower shift rod is screwed into the upper shift rod nit such that the outboard shifts properly, am I golden? Or, is there some other optimal adjustment criteria for setting how far to thread the lower into the upper (e.g., some distance heuristic maximizes shifting performance, maximizes transmission life)? Also, from the picture, I?m not missing a lock washer or anything, am I? Motor has only been used 3 times since purchased new.
Greatly appreciate any advice, going to chase walleye again tomorrow afternoon, and don?t want to teach my 12-year-old son more new words?if you know what I mean. Thanks!

Attachments

• photo258973.JPG
    photo258973.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 1